Department Chair/Associate or Full Professor of Educational Leadership at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, TX
Position Title Department Chair/Associate or Full Professor of Educational Leadership
FLSA status Exempt
Hiring Salary Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Full-Time Tenure Track
College College of Education
Department Dept of Educational Leadership
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job
The Sam Houston State University College of Education invites applications for the position of Chair of the Department of Educational Leadership. This full-time, tenured position will begin as early as possible. The administrative expectations of the chair include leadership of the departmental faculty, staff, and students, programmatic and academic leadership of 2 Master’s, 2 Doctoral, 1 undergraduate, and 2 certificate programs. The chair will serve as an active role model of effective teaching, innovative research, and dedicated service while also overseeing the strategic recruitment and development of outstanding faculty and fiscal responsibility over the department’s budget. The successful candidate must hold an earned doctorate in higher education or educational leadership and a minimum of 3 year of diverse leadership experience in higher education academic affairs. Demonstrated leadership experience in academic affairs, a national/international reputation in educational leadership, documented success in leading strategic initiatives, and a strong record of scholarship and research in the discipline are required. Ideal candidates will have a demonstrated ability of innovative, transformative leadership, experience developing and expanding relationships inside and outside of the university, and supporting diverse scholars to enhance teaching, research, and service. The successful candidate must work with SHSU’s faculty and staff to enhance students’ experience and ensure the institution’s mission and vision of serving current and future educators remains a point of pride for the Department of Educational Leadership for decades to come.
Educational Requirements for the Position
Earned Doctorate in Educational Leadership, Higher Education Leadership, or closely related field.
Experience Required for the Position
- University teaching experience.
- Three years of leadership experience in an academic leadership position.
- Experience chairing doctoral dissertation committees.
- A strong record of publication and leadership of research.
- A record of service in relevant professional organizations at the state and national levels.
- Qualifications for appointment at the level of Associate Professor/Professor.
- Experience serving as a department head or director in educational leadership, higher education leadership, or closely related department or program is preferred.
- Experience administering grant research programs.
- Demonstrates capability to manage large budgets, schedules, and projects.
- Experience as an effective communicator, office supervisor, and advocate for staff and faculty.
- Leadership involvement in professional organizations.
- Demonstrated leadership in a research area within the educational leadership or higher education leadership fields.
1) The SHSU College of Education supports an inclusive learning environment where diverse perspectives are recognized as sources of strength and enrichment. We value human diversity in all its visible and invisible dimensions including: learning and physical ability levels, age, socioeconomic status, language, gender, race, gender identities and expression, ethnicity, sexual orientation, geography, religious and spiritual beliefs, political views and ideologies, and other characteristics that have historically marginalized people. We commit to practicing the cultural responsiveness we expect of the educators, scholars, counselors, and leaders we prepare.
2) Sam Houston State is located in historic Huntsville, one quarter of the way from Houston to Dallas, at the boundary between the Piney Woods region of East Texas and the Prairies and Lakes region of Central Texas. The university has an enrollment of approximately 22,000 students and a faculty of 1000. Recently designated as a high research (R2) institution, SHSU also prides itself in its history as a normal school with a rich tradition of teaching and service in the state. The Department of Educational Leadership is the university’s largest producer of doctoral degrees and also houses certification programs in principalship and superintendency as well as programs in K-12 Leadership and Higher Education leadership.
To apply please visit: https://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/31729
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.