Requisition Lecturer of Political Science
Position Title 202200037F
FLSA status Exempt
Hiring Salary Commensurate with education and experience.
College College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department Dept of Political Science
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job
The Department of Political Science at Sam Houston State University invites applications for a nine-month, renewable, full-time, non-tenure-track Lecturer position starting in Fall 2022. The successful candidate will teach four courses per semester (90%) and engage in department service (10%).
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Sam Houston State University is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the academic community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The college welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community.
Educational Requirements for the Position
A Doctoral degree in political science from an accredited institution of higher education. ABD candidates will be considered but they must have a PhD by the start date (August 2022).
Experience Required for the Position
The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability and desire to teach face-to-face and online courses in American politics or Texas politics. Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate additional abilities and desire to teach face-to-face and online courses in at least one of the following specializations: political parties, interest groups, comparative politics (particularly European politics), research methods, or quantitative methods.
Other SpecificationsPlease submit the following: • Cover Letter that identifies their interests, qualifications, and experience for the position. • Current CV that includes, if applicable, a summary of previous teaching experience and format of each course taught (i.e., face-to-face, online, hybrid).
• All graduate transcripts – unofficial transcripts will be accepted during the application process. However, the successful candidate must submit official transcripts documenting all post-secondary degrees.
• Two letters of recommendation from supervisors who are familiar with the applicant’s teaching abilities and who have worked with the applicant in the past two years.
• Recent student teaching evaluations covering the last two semesters of teaching, if available. Those without teaching evaluations, will need to upload a placeholder document in lieu of evaluations.
• Teaching statement, including a discussion of online pedagogy.
• If available, sample syllabi for relevant courses.
• Diversity statement discussing how the applicant would engage Sam Houston State University’s diverse student population and meet the College of Humanities and Social Sciences’ core goals
The search committee will start to review applications on March 28. The application process will remain open until the position is filled. Please direct questions to Dr. Jason Enia (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note: References provided in the References section of the application will receive an automated email reference request at the time the application is submitted.
Interim Full Time
To apply please visit https://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/30594
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.