Southern Oregon University
Position Number: F00163
The Division of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics at Southern Oregon University (SOU) is seeking candidates for a full-time, nine month, tenure-track, Assistant Professor in Mathematics. Applicants should have interest in and potential to teach a breath of upper division courses, including expertise in abstract algebra, geometry, or applied mathematics that complements the current faculty expertise. The Mathematics program is actively engaging in addressing and serving the needs of the growing diversity of its student body and welcomes applicants from a diversity of backgrounds including historically underrepresented groups in higher education.
The successful candidate will teach, advise, and actively pursue research with undergraduates of diverse learning styles and backgrounds. Teaching responsibilities include upper and lower division mathematics primarily in-person but may include online, remote, or hybrid courses. The typical teaching load is three 4-credit classes per term. Other responsibilities include advising, curriculum development, research, professional affiliations as appropriate, and other responsibilities as assigned.
We offer excellent comprehensive health and retirement benefits. The start date is September 16, 2022 and the position will be open until filled with priority deadline for application of January 7, 2022. Southern Oregon University is a public liberal arts institution of approximately 6,000 undergraduate and 500 graduate students. The surrounding area is known for cultural offerings such as the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, the Ashland International Film Festival, and the Britt Music Festival. The Rogue Valley is also renowned for outdoor activities such as hiking, snowboarding, golfing, and fishing.
• Initial appointment at the rank of assistant professor requires a terminal degree, or ABD, in Mathematics (or closely related field) from an accredited institution.
• Applicants should have the equivalent of at least one year of experience teaching in higher education.
• Applicants should provide documented evidence of teaching excellence.
• Applicants should provide evidence of potential for sustained scholarly activity appropriate for the Southern Oregon University mission.
• Applicants should have interest in and potential to teach a breath of upper division courses, including expertise in abstract algebra, geometry, or applied mathematics that complements the current faculty expertise.
• Ph.D. in Mathematics from an accredited institution.
• Applicants have the equivalent of more than one year of teaching in higher education teaching, advising, and mentoring undergraduate student research.
• Applicants with expertise, experience, and/or potential in teaching upper division courses in two or more distinct mathematical subdisciplines.
• Applicants from diverse backgrounds and historically underrepresented groups such as women, black, indigenous, and people of color.
• Experience and enthusiasm for multiple teaching modes (e.g. using technology, teaching online, remote, or hybrid, etc.) and student engagement.
• Experience with and ability to advise students towards a career utilizing mathematics.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Each applicant is required to provide (as attachments to the online application) the following supplemental documents: (1) letter providing some detail of the applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position; (2) current resume/CV; (3) teaching philosophy (2 page max); (4) unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts; and (5) at least three letters of recommendation from professional references. If you are unable to attach the supplemental materials to the online application please contact Human Resources for assistance.
For inquiries and additional information, please contact: Human Resource Services via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at [Register to View]
To view SOU’s offers very generous benefits and pension programs available to eligible positions, please visit: https://inside.sou.edu/assets/hrs/Benefits/2021_Employee_Benefits_Overview.pdf
Our benefits package is an important complement to the offered salary and our Total Compensation Calculator, https://inside.sou.edu/hrs/comp-calc.html, demonstrates our value and commitment to our employees.
•Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
•Must be able to work additional hours and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
•Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background check.
•Under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA):
-Position classification defined as “exempt” are not subject overtime
•The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the Oregon Revised Statues and is required to comply with the requirements set forth by the Oregon department of Human Services.
Notice to Prospective Employees
Section 485 of the Higher Education Act, and The Federal Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990 (now referred to as the “Clery Act”),requires that prospective employees be notified of the availability of SOU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report provides the annual statistics and campus policies for the reporting of and responding to campus crimes and fires; access to campus facilities; conduct code and campus policies on use, possession and sale of drugs/alcohol; and educational/information programs to inform the campus community about campus security procedures and crime prevention.
An electronic copy of the Annual Security Report (ASR)can be accessed at the following link:
https://inside.sou.edu/assets/security/AnnualCrimeReportFinal.pdf. A physical copy of the ASR is available at no charge upon request. To request a copy please visit the Campus Public Safety Office at 382 Wightman Street, Ashland OR 97520. For more information call [Register to View]
, or email email@example.com.
All applicants must apply online at https://jobs.sou.edu/postings/9461.
Southern Oregon University is a welcoming community committed to inclusive excellence and the celebration of diversity. Without diversity, our educational process is diminished. Working together in support of our commitment to diversity, we strengthen and enrich our role as learners, educators and members of a tightly connected global community. We encourage those who share in our commitment to diversity, to join our community and we expect all our employees to demonstrate an ability and desire to create an inclusive campus community.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency