POSITION AVAILABLE: August 10, 2022
JOB SUMMARY: Teach mathematics classes during fall and spring semesters
JOB DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach a variety of classes in fall and spring, including but not limited to developmental mathematics courses, corequisite-model and standard gateway mathematics courses, physics and other mathematics courses; teach student success courses as needed.
- Operate an effective, rigorous classroom environment with a dedicated commitment to student persistence and completion. Pedagogical delivery method is face-to-face and/or online.
- Teach 27-30 hours per year (fall and spring). Summer teaching duties are possible, but optional.
- Support and participate in academic recruiting and retention efforts.
- Advise mathematics majors; serve as a mentor and role model for all OPSU students.
- Serve on assigned and ad-hoc University and state-wide committees.
- Participate in assessment activities, including but not limited to various classroom, general education, mathematics program, university-wide, and state-wide assessment initiatives.
- Communicate in a courteous manner, exhibiting support of the diversity and overall development of students, faculty, and staff.
- Contribute to the success of the Department of Mathematics and Physics, the College of Agriculture, Science, and Nursing, and OPSU, while promoting the University in the surrounding communities.
- Must have a strong work ethic and lead by example.
- Must be a professional, credible and respected representative of the institution internally and in the community.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to act ethically and socially responsible.
- Strong organizational, management, and interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Strong communication skills demonstrating the candidate to be a positive motivator.
- Must be able to lift more than 25-lb. objects; frequent bending, stooping, and walking.
- Can be exposed to a variety of weather conditions for periods of time.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College of Agriculture, Science, and Nursing and Department Chair of Math and Physics or designee.
The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates shall have at least three years teaching experience, preferably in a baccalaureate granting institution.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
Required: Master’s degree in mathematics or a closely related field with at least 18 graduate hours in mathematics.
Preferred: Earned doctorate in mathematics or mathematics education from a regionally accredited university or be willing to pursue a terminal degree.
OPSU is an AA/EE/E-Verify employer committed to diversity.