Department: Research, Instruction, & Outreach Services
Faculty Hire Number: 22-30
Rank: Senior Assistant or Associate Librarian
Effective Date of Appointment: July 1, 2022 (Subject to Budgetary Approval)
Salary: Minimum salary of $69,348 for Senior Assistant Librarian or $79,560 for Associate Librarian, and an excellent benefits package. Salary and rank are dependent on qualifications and experience.
CSUN’s Commitment to You:
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
For more information about the University, visit: http://www.csun.edu
About the College:
For more information about the University Library see: https://library.csun.edu/
About the Department:
For more information about the Research, Instruction, & Outreach Services Dept. see: https://library.csun.edu/research-instruction-outreach-services
Position: Business Librarian
In support of its service and information literacy mission, the University Library at California State University, Northridge seeks a service-oriented and enthusiastic individual to provide research assistance, library instruction, and outreach in a comprehensive university environment. The selected candidate primarily serves as liaison to the AACSB-accredited and highly ranked David Nazarian College of Business and Economics (https://www.csun.edu/busecon), that is deeply engaged in the community, for example through VITA, its tax preparation program (https://www.csun.edu/bookstein-institute/csun-vita-clinic).
Participates in in-person and online/virtual general and subject-specific research assistance, and collection development for the College, which comprises 7 departments and 13 programs and centers. Provides outreach and develops specialized information literacy instruction to students and faculty in the College. The selected candidate may also participate in the library's general instruction program for undergraduates and graduate students.
This is a 12-month, full-time, tenure-track faculty position at the Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian level, with attendant expectations for professional competence, service, and scholarship. Some evening and weekend work is required. The successful candidate will be held to the standards and requirements of the college and department in which they are housed for recommending tenure and promotion.
As a Hispanic-serving Institution (HSI), inclusiveness and diversity are integral to CSUN’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As of Fall 2020, CSUN enrolls ~40,000 students, where 56% are Latinx, 20.8% are White, 9.3% are Asian American, 4.8% are Black/African American, 0.1% are Native American, and 0.1% are Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. The successful candidate will help the Department achieve equitable outcomes for all students through teaching, student mentorship, scholarship, and service.
- Master's degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-accredited school, or equivalent degree if earned from outside the U.S. or Canada;
- Coursework in business or experience in a business/corporate library;
- Demonstrated subject knowledge and familiarity with business resources and research methodologies;
- Familiarity with inclusive pedagogies and instruction practices in order to engage students who are historically underrepresented and underserved in traditional academic libraries;
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to effectively work with students from diverse backgrounds and to working in a diverse campus community;
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Commitment to engage in research and continued professional development worthy of promotion and tenure in the California State University system.
- Experience providing information literacy instruction in business or other relevant subject areas;
- Experience providing reference/research assistance in a busy academic or business/corporate library;
- Experience in developing digital learning objects (eg LibGuides, tutorials, infographics);
- Collection development experience, ideally with large budgets;
- Experience in marketing and outreach of library services and collections;
- Experience in marketing, accounting, management, finance, or information systems in a for-profit business;
- Advanced degree in business (M.S. or MBA);
- Proficiency or fluency in American Sign Language (ASL).
Screening of applications will begin February 1, 2022. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply:
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three current professional references to the website in the section above. In later phases of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide additional materials, including letters of recommendation, professional work samples, and work produced through student mentoring.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the United States.
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available on-line here. Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. To learn more visit our Matadors Forward site: https://www.csun.edu/matadors-forward/faculty-and-staff-fall-guidelines
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting RIOS Department at [Register to View] .