Research & Instruction Librarian for Humanities and Social Sciences, Full-Time, Tenure-Track
Salem State University
The Research and Instruction Librarian for Humanities and Social Sciences is an in-person position that provides research and instruction support to faculty and students in assigned departments. The Research and Instruction Librarian delivers all modalities of library instruction sessions and research consultations, creates instructional materials, and develops collections in support of teaching and research. Additionally, the Research and Instruction Librarian leads the writing and summer bridge instruction programs, and coordinates outreach initiatives in collaboration with campus-wide programs. The position also contributes significantly to general in-person and remote research assistance services, assessment activities, strategic planning, and other library and campus initiatives. The Research and Instruction Librarian will also engage in interdisciplinary initiatives, external partnerships and continued relationships on campus and with other academic and community institutions. This is a full time, tenure track position.
Primary duties include:
- Serving as a subject librarian and liaison between the library and assigned academic departments, including History, Art & Design, Politics, and others in the Humanities or Social Sciences
- Developing the collection in assigned disciplines, including assessment, selection, and deselection
- Leads and coordinates instructional programs such as the first-year writing library instruction and the Summer Bridge information literacy program
- Providing specialized research assistance for faculty and students through a variety of methods
- Creating and maintaining instructional materials, particularly online guides and tutorials
- Investigating and implementing instructional technologies appropriate to the curriculum
- Collaborating with faculty on designing traditional and alternative assignments
- Participating in general library instruction and information literacy initiatives
- Promoting the use of Open Educational Resources (OERs) to academic departments
- Assisting in accreditation, program review, and other official assessment processes
- Engaging in professional development and continuing scholarship, such as participation in or contributions to professional societies and organizations or research as demonstrated by published or unpublished work
Incumbents are required to perform duties in accordance with the MSCA contract. Duties include teaching and other contributions to continuously improve the department and university.
- Master of library & information science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program at the time of hire
- Experience teaching information literacy (classes, workshops, one-on-one)
- Experience leading librarians and others in coordinating programs and initiatives
- Experience in navigating and teaching library databases
- Experience providing research help using a wide variety of general online research databases and catalogs, library-specific softwares (such as LibGuides), instructional technologies, and virtual reference services
- Experience providing outreach services in libraries
- Education or experience in the arts/humanities, social sciences, or relevant field
- Evidence of effective oral, written and social communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work within a consultative team environment where collaboration is essential
- Demonstrated working knowledge of current educational technologies
- Enthusiasm for working in a multicultural environment with students of diverse backgrounds and learning styles
- Fluency or ability to communicate effectively in Spanish
- As an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Salem State University seeks to enrich the faculty/librarian ranks by actively encouraging candidates whose lived and scholarly experiences directly address issues regarding the health, welfare, and representation of Latinx populations in the United States. Candidates who meet this strongly desired qualification should present documented activities in Latinx-related teaching, scholarship/research, and service, including community-based endeavors in each of these three areas
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach curriculum vitae and cover letter. Transcripts may be requested of finalists.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to a background check.
This position is eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time. Once a posting is removed, additional applications will not be accepted.