Southern Connecticut State University
Chief Human Resources Officer
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Southern Connecticut State University in their search for a Chief Human Resources Officer. The University seeks an accomplished human resource professional highly adept in labor relations and HR best practices.
The successful candidate is relationship-oriented and familiar working within a heavily matrixed organization. This position requires a highly involved leader actively engaged across campus and dedicated to fostering strong working relationships.
This critical role provides strategic, transformational leadership and administration in the development and implementation of all matters relating to human resources, labor relations and leadership development. These include but are not limited to: labor relations; employee relations; faculty and staff recruitment and hiring; performance appraisals; succession planning; compensation; employee training; and benefits and workers comp administration.
This experienced leader brings extensive managerial, interpersonal, creative problem solving, and communication skills along with a commitment to customer service. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker skilled in planning, staff and workforce development, business process reengineering, systems implementation and adept at working with a broad range of university administrators and management staff in a diverse, unionized environment. SCSU desires a seasoned administrator with a demonstrated history of innovation and resourcefulness, coupled with a commitment to results and accountability.
This position reports directly to the Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration, with a strong relationship to the CSU System head of HR, and oversees a dedicated and motivated staff of 6. The University enrolls approximately 9,500 students and employs approximately 940 full-time and 840 part time faculty and staff.
- Manage the university’s labor relations: This includes such actions as participating in labor contract negotiation, participating in development of bargaining strategy, performing and directing application of the university’s multiple contracts including interpretation of contract language to daily workplace situations, reviewing grievances, advising managers on proper management of grievances, serving as hearing officer, preparing responses to grievances for such situations as arbitration hearings and advising managers on proper handling of disciplinary actions.
- Direct the university’s employment function including such tasks as overseeing the recruitment, selection and placement of faculty and staff, assuring that fair employment regulations and affirmative action objectives are met and assuring that appropriately qualified candidates are referred for selection.
- Direct the administration of benefits and workers compensation programs for the university. This includes assuring the proper communication of benefits plans to staff, enrollment and changes for staff and oversight of claims administration.
- Direct the university’s training and development services for staff, including overseeing the assessment of training needs, evaluating training resources and arranging for training to aid staff and managers in the effective performance of their jobs.
- Manage the broad human resources programs and services mandated by legislation or needed by the university for effective utilization of its staff. These may include such areas as: ADA and monitoring compliance with its regulations; payroll administration; job analysis and classification; analyzing and reporting on employment and personnel data. Responsible for HR programs and resources in the area of onboarding and orientation, employee conduct and conflict resolution, and employee performance management.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management, public administration, organizational behavior or a related field.
- Minimum of seven years of related human resource management experience in an organization with complex personnel systems and staff
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply laws and regulations applying to employment, benefits administration and labor relations in large and complex organizations
- Demonstrated ability to conduct or participate in collective bargaining, to develop sound collective bargaining strategies and to administer resulting contracts, including the management of discipline and grievance case under those agreements
- Demonstrated ability to direct and perform all the profession-based fields of human resource administration including employment, affirmative action and fair employment practices, training and development, compensation and benefits administration, payroll administration and accommodation of workers with disabilities
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a professional staff in providing such services
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable relationships at all levels of the organization, coupled with a commitment to working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
- Advanced degree strongly preferred
SCSU is a public university in New Haven, Connecticut. Founded as a teachers college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of more than 9,500 students, offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. There is an increasingly robust system office HR function with which the position will be expected to relate. Similarly, strong relationships with HR colleague at other CSU universities will be expected.
SCSU is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice.
Located in New Haven, CT with a population of over 130,000, the area offers a suburban/urban feel with shopping, museums, parks and trails, an award winning array of restaurants and steps to Long Island Sound. The area offers many employment opportunities. New York City is a short train ride offering a wealth of opportunities and activities for residents. New Haven is a diverse town providing a strong community life.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. For best consideration, please apply by May 19, 2021.
Please do not email applications. To be viewed by the firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjy7raru.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to Jennifer Muller, Managing Partner at Academic Career & Executive Search at Jennifer@acesrch.com.
Southern Connecticut State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.