Under the supervision of the TRIO Talent Search Program Director, the Talent Search Program Advisor is responsible for assisting the Director in all facets of operating the TRIO Talent Search Program.
Dodge City Community College is committed to a policy of non-discrimination in hiring and employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, military status, ancestry or national origin.
- To understand and commit to the Mission of the College ~ Dodge City Community College provides a student-centered learning environment where students can achieve their educational, personal, and career goals.
- Outreaches, identifies, and selects eligible TRIO Talent Search (TS) Program participants.
- Informs students, faculty/teachers, counselors, and support staff of the TRIO Talent Search Program goals and purposes.
- Assesses the academic, career, and personal needs of TRIO Talent Search Program participants.
- Develops Individual Progress Reports (Educational Action Plans) and required documentation of services provided for program participants.
- Coordinate and provide comprehensive academic advising, academic coaching, and all Talent Search advising/counseling, including personal, academic, group counseling, career and individual, to TRIO Talent Search Program participants, regarding pre-college course selection.
- Maintain confidentiality of TRIO Talent Search Program participants’ records both personal and academic records.
- Utilize StudentAccess or Blumen data base system to store and access TRIO Talent Search Program participants’ records.
- Provides financial aid assistance and advising pertaining to FAFSA and assistance in applying for any additional scholarships.
- Coordinate new and continuing TRIO Talent Search Program participants’ academic, career, and personal needs assessments.
- Assists with the recruitment and selection of TRIO Talent Search Program tutors and student peer leaders.
- Provide training and leadership development to TRIO Talent Search Program tutors and student peer leaders.
- Plans, travels with and assists with the supervision of cultural and academic activities/field trips and campus visits for TRIO Talent Search Program participants.
- Provides career counseling and plans career awareness events and lectures.
- Provides TRIO Talent Search Program participants with Kansas public education core curriculum and high school graduation requirements.
- Encourage persistence, retention, values clarification, goal setting, career exploration, and student success in TRIO Talent Search Program participants.
- Provides referrals to other services when appropriate so as not to duplicate target schools resources and services.
- Develops and monitors the TRIO Talent Search Program advising model
- Other related duties as assigned.
The above job description supersedes all previous descriptions. This description is intended to be a tool to describe the primary purpose of the job and the Essential Functions and Responsibilities. The job description may not be inclusive of all duties and job responsibilities. Administration has the right to add to or change the job responsibilities to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods at any time.
- Proven ability to work with diverse populations including traditional and non-traditional students.
- Bachelor’s degree in higher education administration, counseling, student personnel, psychology, or closely related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years experience working with educational programs or in TRIO Talent Search programs.
- A minimum of two (2) years experience working in the field of counseling, higher education, career advising, or advising.
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to utilize counseling techniques.
- Ability to maintain accurate and effective student/counseling and advising documentation as required by the TRIO Talent Search Program regulations and the U. S. Department of Education / Office of Postsecondary Education.
GoodExcellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Must maintain a valid Kansas driver’s license and provide documentation of such.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience in educational programs at the middle school/junior high school, high school, or college/university level.
- Familiar with or from a background similar to TRIO Talent Search Program participants.
- Experience working with students from disadvantaged and diverse backgrounds, preferably direct TRIO Talent Search Program experience.
- Bilingual (English / Spanish).
- Limited to supervision and mentoring of the TRIO Talent Search Program Student Employees and Part-time Employees.
Physical Requirements: (With or without assistance)
- Ability to occasionally carry supplies weighing 20-30 pounds
- Ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to speak clearly and audibly directly with individuals and on the telephone.
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely in written form and verbally.
- Motor skills and dexterity to access campus locations.
- Ability to bend, stoop and kneel as necessary to perform the responsibilities of this position.