Assistant Professor of Mass Communication (Film Production)
Requisition No. 202100162F
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the JobThe Department of Mass Communication at Sam Houston State University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in film and emerging media production. The ideal candidate would be an innovative moving image artist who specializes in experimental/hybrid forms of non-fiction filmmaking, social documentary filmmaking, and emerging media. The candidate must have:
- an active creative practice (demonstrated by peer-reviewed exhibitions and screenings of works)
- extensive experience in film/video image capture/manipulation; extensive experience in digital media workflows
- experience and interest in teaching courses in the following areas: Image Design, Single Camera Production, Production Management, Cinematography, Sound Design, Nonfiction Filmmaking, and Emerging Media
- desire and ability to take on significant mentorship roles (graduate thesis project advising, independent study project advising, etc.)
- desire and ability to take on significant roles in helping build a creative community (mentoring, helping organize student film festivals, advising with official student media channels, advising student organizations, etc.)
- desire and ability to take on significant roles in curriculum development at the undergraduate and graduate level
- desire and ability to take on significant roles of service and leadership
- desire and ability to author and deliver courses online
- desire and ability to work successfully with students of diverse backgrounds
The Department of Mass Communication at SHSU serves more than 500 students and is home to BA in Mass Communication (concentrations: Film, Broadcast, Multiplatform Journalism, PR/Advertising), BFA in Film and Television Production, MFA in Digital Media Production, and MA in Digital Media.
Educational Requirements for the Position
The candidate must have an M.F.A. in Film Production or related field, or a Ph.D. in a related field in hand by start date.
Experience Required for the Position
The candidate must have a record of excellence in film/video/emerging media – related creative activities and accomplishments; a record of excellence in teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level; and a record of excellence in online pedagogy.
Other Requirements for the Position
This posting is for Fall 2022.
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
To apply please visit https://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/29439