IOWA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY
Dean of Students
Iowa Wesleyan University is seeking a Dean of Students to lead our dynamic Student Development program through a holistic approach that ensures an inclusive, healthy, and safe learning environment for all students. The Dean serves will serve as an advocate for students, working to promote student engagement, and supporting retention and graduation initiatives. The Dean is an active and engaged Student Development leader, willing to lead by example and assist others in major Student Development initiatives such as Orientation, Homecoming, and the selection of student leaders. Some nights and weekends will be required.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise the Assistant to the Dean, Assistant Dean and Director of Residential Life, Mental Health Coordinator, Associate Director of Student Engagement and Activities, and Campus Nurse and those departments within the Student Development office.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet.
- Provide leadership and supervision of staff in the Student Development office, including regular team meetings and retreats.
- Oversee campus health services, including Covid response protocols.
- Oversee campus mental health services.
- Oversee campus food service.
- Oversee Emergency Management protocol, campus security, and mass communication system.
- Develop collaborative relationships with campus administrative staff and faculty.
- Provide leadership and guidance in the analysis, review, creation, and interpretation of student policies and procedures.
- Generate ideas and opportunities to enhance the student experience and improve retention.
- Foster and inclusive community and promote equity for all students.
- Support the goals of the University’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Chair the Student Development Committee.
- Co-Chair the Assessment Committee and create co-curricular assessment plans.
- Hear and rule on student conduct appeals.
- Responsible for student development compliance reporting, including Clery, campus security reports, etc.
- Annual consumer information postings and updates.
- Student handbook and student catalogue updates.
- Southeast Iowa Higher Education Alliance (SIHEA) partnership initiatives relating to student development.
- Initiate, deliver, and participate in departmental, institutional, and personal professional development activities.
- Construct and manage relevant budgets.
- Participate in institutional strategic planning.
- Serve on institutional committees as assigned.
- Work with the Board of Trustees and attend Board meetings as requested by the President.
- Be an active member of Mt. Pleasant and SE Iowa region.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Candidates must possess a master’s degree and a minimum of ten years of higher education experience with progressively increased responsibilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated success as a supervisor.
- Cultural competence and experience interacting with and supporting the needs of a diverse student population.
- An ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in Student Development and across all campus constituencies.
- Effective in all aspects of crisis management.
- Experience in assessment of organizational effectiveness, and the use of assessment data to inform decisions and program growth.
- Organizational skills and an ability to set priorities and meet goals.
- Budget management skills.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates must upload their letter of interest, resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references at https://www.iw.edu/careers.
No phone calls please, candidates will be contacted if search committee needs further information. Iowa Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer.