Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values.
Who we are
The Department of Residence Life is housed within the Division of Student Affairs. It is comprised of 60+ full-time staff and 180+ graduate and undergraduate student staff. We offer a fun, academic-centered environment where each staff member has the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students. To learn more, please visit our website https://reslife.tamu.edu/.
What we want
The Resident Manager of Apartments (Student Development Specialist III) is responsible for being a 12 month, live-in, full-time professional staff member. As a live-in member of the University Apartments staff, the Resident Manager (SDS III) has primary responsibility for the administrative; student staff and graduate hiring, disciplinary process, staff training; summer operations in the University Apartments; counseling; conflict resolution; and conduct adjudication for the University Apartments. The Resident Manager serves in an on-call, 24 hour, duty rotation for all University Apartments. The Resident Managers serves as the primary advisor for Community Council. The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above. If the description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
What you need to know
COVID-19 information: Texas A&M University monitors local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep students, employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. For the latest information regarding Texas A&M’s COVID-19 response, please visit the University’s COVID-19 website. For COVID-19 employment-related information, please visit the Division of Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness’ COVID-19 website.
Required Education and Experience:
- Four years’ experience in student affairs work or related specialty area with a bachelor’s degree.
- Two years’ experience in student affairs work or related specialty area with a master's degree
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General office conditions with the majority of time spent in contact with students
- Attends meetings and conferences concerning students and with student groups at times beyond usual working hours
- Strong commitment to diversity
- Excellent communication and administrative skills
- Ability to work with adults, college students, and children
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others
- Knowledge of student development theory
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in student affairs, counseling, or related field
- Experience in a college or university apartments setting
- Experience in a graduate/family housing setting
- Experience working with international student populations
- Experience with Living Learning Programs and Academic Enhancement programs
- Experience with mediation and conflict resolution and conduct adjudication
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Be committed to diversity and inclusion
- Understand how to apply student development theory in an on-campus apartment community
- Knowledge of key and occupancy management
- Demonstrate professional maturity
- Supervision: Directly supervises the live-in Apartment Resident Advisors and their work assisting individual residents and families with their personal needs and concerns. Holds weekly student staff meetings. Holds bi-annual one-on-one meetings with RA staff members. Schedules duty and office coverage. Supervises the University Apartments Student Assistants and their after-hours and weekend work in the Activity Center. Supervises the Administrative Coordinator I. Tracks and suggests changes for the annual resident handbook. Is responsible for the check in and check out process of residents utilizing the StarRez database. Utilizes the Apartment inventory process through StarRez. Is responsible for recruitment, selection, training and evaluation of the Apartment Resident Advisors and Student Assistants. Creates training manuals and procedural handbooks for Apartment Resident Advisors and the Student Assistants. Authors and presents semester evaluations to RA and student employee staff members. Holds student staff members accountable for job responsibilities and work shifts. Performs appropriate follow up as necessary. Oversees the duty hours for the Apartment Resident Advisors. Ensures the Apartment Resident Advisors are answering phone calls, conducting rounds, addressing resident concerns, submitting appropriate reports in Maxient and StarRez and fulfilling programming requirements. Works with the Department HR Liaison to ensure Student Staff and Resident Advisors read, understand and sign their position description prior to the first 30 days of hire and annually during the evaluation period. Reviews student staff/RA’s training transcripts to ensure the timely completion of all mandatory trainings and in-service attendance. Ensures that staff attend fall, spring and summer training. Acts as supervisory approver of time in Workday for staff supervised. Acts as a backup approver of Leave in Workday in the absence of the Assistant Director.
- Administrative: Serves as a backup to the Assistant Director in regards to the Apartments day to day operations, working through the Associate Director Of Residence Life. Creates, compiles, and submits necessary daily, weekly, monthly and annual reports. Maintains and updates UA Facebook page. Coordinates with Housing Assignments Office staff as necessary. Serves as a communication link between the Department of Residence Life and the residents.
- Summer Operations: Is responsible for meeting with camp staff to establish check in and check out times. Is responsible for communication with custodial staff and the Conference and Guest Services staff on concerns and issues as they arise. Is responsible for recruiting and hiring summer staff (RAs and other summer support staff). In conjunction with Conference and Guest Services, provides training for summer staff members. Attends month out meetings with camp sponsors as scheduled by Conference and Guest Services staff to assist with upcoming camp/conference coordination. Utilizes necessary databases and reports for camps/conferences.
- Learning & Development: Oversees the programming efforts of the Apartment Resident Advisors. Ensures programs are planned utilizing proactive risk management practices. Works with the RA staff to ensure that they are planning and facilitating social and educational programs. Conducts periodic interest surveys to help identify and meet the needs of apartment residents. Works with the Academic Peer Mentor and RAs to coordinate programming efforts. Works with Community Council to plan and facilitate programs. Encourages the Community Council execs to work with the RA staff on programming initiatives. Serves on department, division and university committees. Serves as staff support for departmental committees. Advances the philosophy of multiculturalism and actively promotes diversity in staffing and programming.
- Advising & Conduct: Serves as primary advisor to the Community Council. Supports the Community Council by attending the Community Council general and executive meetings, works collaboratively with Executive Board members and periodically holds meetings with apartment residents to promote open communications. Attends programs sponsored/planned by the Community Council. Attends Community Council general and executive meetings, works collaboratively with Executive Board members and periodically holds meetings with apartment residents to promote open communications. Attends programs sponsored/planned by the Community Council. Recruits potential Executive Board members. Ensures the Community Council is in compliance with student organization rules and regulations. Facilitates community meetings if Community Council is not functional. Supports and enforces University and Department of Residence Life rules and regulations. Works with students and staff to develop a proactive and educational approach to conduct problems. Holds conduct sanction meetings with residents for minor violations. Services as a hearing officer (for co-adjudications or conduct panels) in the Student Conduct Office. Serves as an investigator for Student Life investigations. As requested, serves as an advisor to student groups affiliated with the Department of Residence Life.
- Facilities Operations: In conjunction with the Administrative Associate, Administrative Coordinator and SSC Custodial and Maintenance, oversees the move in and move out process for residents and their families. Ensures apartment Resident Advisors are following proper inventory procedures and key control procedures. Holds effective training/briefings/meetings during training and throughout the year to discuss practice, policy, issues and concerns. Educates students and staff on how to submit and track work orders in AggieWorks. Submits AggieWorks work orders. Is responsible for maintaining the key database for all apartment keys. Oversees the overall general upkeep and facility care of the University Apartments. Conducts regular walk-through tours of the University Apartments and grounds to effectively monitor the condition of the facilities. Apprises Facilities & Operations staff about potential areas of concern with custodial and maintenance.
- Risk, Safety & Security: Ensures the Activity Center Assistants are providing night-time services, monitoring the Activity Center at night, cleaning the rec room, and are locking up at closing. Ensures that student employees are not exceeding the number of hours they can work each week. Serves in an on-call, 24-hour, duty rotation for all of the University Apartments, including holidays and University closures. Coordinates the scheduling of fire/life/safety inspections in conjunction with the Environmental Health and Safety Department. Oversees follow up on violations discovered during inspections. Conducts required fire drills and necessary paperwork and follow-up. Supervises staff responsible for the day-to-day key and access card management. Ensures that Departmental key and access card protocol, policies and procedures are followed. Oversees appropriate storage and distribution of keys and access cards. Performs and submits required weekly key audits. Coordinates filter change, back flow testing and fire alarm testing with appropriate staff members. Communicates the dates and information to the residents. Performs other duties as assigned.