In the Office of Admissions within the Division of Strategic Enrollment Management and Student Success, the Admissions Counselor, Latinx Community position is part of a team that will build and enhance the recruitment of new undergraduate students to Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Latinx communities to meet the strategic enrollment goals of the University. The ideal candidate has strong relationships and experiences and a proven commitment to the Latinx community a passion for VCU and encouraging students to pursue higher education, is willing to travel extensively, and is excited to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Represent VCU at various student recruitment events and activities for the assigned area or student base including attending college fairs, career fairs, visits to high schools and community colleges.
- Serve as a University liaison and provide exemplary customer service and information about the University to prospective undergraduate students, their parents, guidance counselors, and other constituencies.
- Plan, organize, and conduct information sessions, interviews, and counseling sessions with prospective undergraduate students and their parents to provide information about the University, admissions processes, and university policies and procedures in both English and Spanish.
- Evaluate data and applicant credentials for admission and counsel prospective students on their admissibility and ability to be successful once at VCU.
- Coordinate and implement recruitment strategies with a focus on the Latinx market to attract new freshmen and transfer students from assigned area or student base and work closely with other University offices.
- Respond to email, participate in virtual information sessions, and make phone calls to perspective students to encourage campus visits and applications for admission.
- Maintain appropriate follow-up communication with these students and their families regarding the status of their applications for admission and financial aid.
- Participate in other Admissions recruitment activities including with campus partners and out-of-state.
- Maintain relationships with secondary school counselors, community college counselors, and community-based organization leaders.
- Coordinates and participates in outreach activities to attract new students from the Latinx community by establishing strong working relationships with community organizations, family-oriented groups, and other applicable sources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Full-time, year-round position with high and low periods of activity. Competitive health benefits, leave and retirement plans.
- Extensive travel is required – Trips with total mileage beyond 25 miles will be reimbursed, appropriate hotel and per diem expenses will also be provided.
- Weekends and evening work is common and expected including working hours over winter break.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent applicable experience and education.
- Fluent in spoken Spanish with the ability to provide public presentations and written Spanish with the ability to correspond for basic, typical business purposes.
- Has strong relationships and experiences and a proven commitment to the Latinx community. Excellent oral and written presentation skills in both English and Spanish.
- Ability to use Office products including PowerPoint.
- Ability to provide clear direction and establish efficient priorities.
- Enthusiasm to travel for extended periods.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- A current driver’s license and current car insurance.
- Ability to work some hours over the University’s winter break.
- Ability to obtain and manage a VCU travel card.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Experience in higher education, admissions, or recruitment experience.
- Knowledge of VCU programs or prior VCU student.
- Previous customer service and public speaking experience.