IOWA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY
Director of Graduate and Professional Studies
Iowa Wesleyan University is seeking a Director for Graduate and Professional Studies to provide long-term and day-to-day leadership for the planning, development, implementation, staffing, quality assurance, and student/faculty services supporting online instruction for the University. The individual in this role will play a leadership role on campus, helping to enhance and grow online programs across the University. This position will also ensure comprehensive enrollment management and academic advising services are provided to online undergraduate and graduate students at the highest level of customer service.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures that all academic processes will sufficiently adhere to established distance education guidelines and best practices with academic quality rubrics for online programs.
- Meets regularly with the deans, directors, and chairs to develop and revise responsive plans for the college's initiatives in online education, and to revise online curriculum, as needed.
- Provides oversight for adherence to all external regulations related to online education.
- Schedules online course offerings in conjunction with Department Chairs during summer, fall, and spring terms.
- Recruits, interviews, and facilitates the hiring of online instructors as needed.
- Establishes and verifies training of online faculty.
- Ensures the Instructional Designer works effectively with online instructors to maintain quality online instruction and properly constructed online classrooms that enable student learning.
- Maintains the current LMS, Canvas, and the supporting technological resources, including:
- Term structure and creation of new terms
- Naming conventions
- Effective course development
- Sufficient bandwidth for high demand periods
- Manages technological resources and provides recommendations for updates when needed.
- Supervises outside vendors when such services are engaged for the department.
- Analyzes the departmental budget and monitors expenses to ensure financial guidelines are followed.
- Works to design and implement projects, conduct strategic-planning activities related to online learning, and maintain necessary operational resources.
- Partners with internal and external marketing resources as necessary to maintain recruiting materials and generate an effective lead funnel.
- Develops and implements ways to evaluate measures of program success--including enrollment goals, quality, effectiveness, and sustainability.
- Completes evaluation, assessment, and reporting in conjunction with the Assessment Committee and Academic Council
- Ensures that University policies are followed by having a thorough knowledge of all policies and procedures outlined in the University handbook, advising manual and Academic Catalog.
- Collaborates in updates of the academic catalogs, advising manual, microsite, and resources to assure accurate and consistent information.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Maintains competency and professional currency through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the assistant dean.
- Professionally represents Iowa Wesleyan University to internal and external constituents, including students, prospective students, companies, organizations, and faculty.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Master’s Degree required.
- Professional work experience within higher education for a minimum of 2 years.
- Experience with online course development, teaching/learning, faculty development, managing programs, and/or developing and delivering online courses preferred.
- Experience working in an online degree program, knowledge of adult learning principles and experience in teaching or training, preferably at the college/university level is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with budgeting and planning, and a data driven program review process.
- Knowledge of admissions processes procedures and reporting requirements with cursory understanding of financial aid procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and human relations skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Multi-task, prioritize, manage multiple priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to utilize technology, including student management systems, degree audit systems, learning management system, and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt well to change. Must be able to abide by FERPA regulations and maintain confidentiality.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates must upload their letter of interest, resume/CV, transcripts, and contact information for three professional references at https://www.iw.edu/careers.
No phone calls please, candidates will be contacted if search committee needs further information. Iowa Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer.