This job is archived
Communications and Outreach Specialist School of Education and Human Development Charlottesville, VA
The Center for Advanced Study of Teaching and Learning (CASTL) https://education.virginia.edu/faculty-research/centers-labs-projects/center-advanced-study-teaching-and-learning-castl at the University of Virginia seeks two Communication and Outreach Specialists for the Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program (VKRP). https://vkrponline.org/ is a partnership between the University of Virginia, the Virginia Department of Education, and school divisions across the Commonwealth. VKRP partners with the Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening (PALS) to provide a comprehensive picture of students’ skills at the beginning and end of both pre-kindergarten and kindergarten. VKRP uses a web-based assessment and reporting system, which provides critical data about young children’s school readiness skills in the areas of literacy, math, social skills, and self-regulation.
- Provide support to a diverse group of VKRP users, including teachers, principals, and administrators of VKRP in school divisions, through the VKRP hotline and online chat support program
- Develop and provide informational materials, training (online and in-person), and assistance to users of the VKRP system
- Assist in testing added features and the management of online users and assessments on the VKRP web application system
- Coordinate the purchase and distribution of assessment materials to support teachers and other users of VKRP
- Assist teachers, schools, and school divisions to gather, utilize, and analyze multiple data from assessment tools (such as VKRP and other child data) and assist leaders and teachers to use this information to improve instruction
- Coordinate multiple simultaneous tasks of varying complexity, with demonstrated accountability, and excellent attention to detail while implementing flexible problem-solving skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Psychology, Educational Technology, or a related field
- At least 3 years of experience in an early childhood education environment
- Master’s degree will be considered in lieu of experience
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills are essential, as is the ability to interact effectively with a diverse team of internal and external constituencies
- An understanding of customer support and creating efficient trouble-shooting processes and procedures
- Demonstrates expertise, experience, and commitment to diversity, equity, and access
- Experience with coaching, consulting, technical assistance, and/or training adult educators and leaders in individual and group settings
- Excellent executive function skills: organization, time management, shifting focus (multitasking; alternating focus on details and ‘the big picture’ as needed)
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Ability to collaborate closely with a team in a deadline-driven environment
- Proficiency in use of technology:
- Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Videoconferencing, teaching, or webinar tools (e.g., Zoom, Canvas)
- Virtual platforms or storage (e.g., Google Docs, Box, Trello)
- Knowledge of Virginia’s early childhood education programming (e.g., VPI, ECSE, Title 1, Head Start)
- Experience as a technology support specialist or customer support in an educational organization
- Experience developing professional development or other resources for teachers and/or families
In alignment with President Ryan’s UVA’s strategic plan, CASTL is committed to:
- Recruiting talented and diverse doctoral students, post-doctoral fellows, faculty, and staff;
- Recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce and providing an inclusive and supportive environment in which staff and faculty are recognized as integral to the success of our work; and
- Promoting a culture of integrity, mutual respect, excellence, collaboration, and innovation.
Anticipated Compensation: ~$52,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications, with UVA benefits.
Please apply through Workday, https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs/job/Charlottesville-VA/Communications-and-Outreach-Specialist--School-of-Education-and-Human-Development_R0024367 by searching for “Communications and Outreach Specialist, School of Education and Human Development” and complete an application online and attach the following all into the resume submission field, preferably as one document:
DEI Statement: In 500 words or less, please speak to how you address diversity, equity, and inclusion in your work.
Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
For questions about and assistance with the application process, please contact Bethany Case, email@example.com Academic Recruiter. For questions about the position, please contact Jenifer Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org VKRP Project Associate.
Applicant review will begin May 20, however we accept applications on a rolling basis and will remain open until filled.
This is a restricted position and continuation beyond a year is dependent upon the availability of funding and satisfactory performance. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position cannot offer sponsorship.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.