Reporting to the Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions in the Office of Admissions for the Division of Strategic Enrollment Management and Student Success, the Regional Recruiter assigned to the North Carolina Territory will spearhead the recruitment and enrollment efforts targeted to primarily undergraduate (freshmen and transfer) students by developing and implementing effective student recruitment and marketing plans that meet the strategic enrollment goals of the University. The ideal candidate lives in and knows the North Carolina area well, has experience in student recruitment, and excels working independently and from a home-based office.
• Represent Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) at various student recruitment activities, including virtual events, to a wide and diverse audience including prospective freshmen, transfer students, and their families in high schools, community colleges, and at college fair programs in the state of North Carolina.
• Attend and participate in recruitment events and activities including individual visits to high schools and community colleges in North Carolina.
• Plan, develop, and organize various recruitment activities to meet the strategic enrollment goals of the University.
• Organize and supervise local area receptions or other events for prospective students in the Fall and yield events for accepted students in the Spring.
• Correspond with prospective students and their families including managing electronic recruitment correspondence.
• Conduct individual in-person and tele-meetings with prospective students, parents, and families to counsel them on the student’s admissibility to VCU as well as their ability to be successful once at VCU.
• Encourage campus visits as well as applications for admission and maintain appropriate follow-up communication with these students and their families regarding the status of their applications for admission and financial aid.
• Participate fully in the evaluation of applications and selection of the incoming class.
• Work closely with the Office of Admissions leadership team to contribute to a strategic plan that ensures VCU is making every effort to attract and enroll a diverse student population from the region.
• Partner with the Office of Admissions Transfer Team to support recruitment efforts as needed.
• Maintain relationships with secondary school counselors, community college counselors, and community-based organization leaders.
• Maintain relationships with VCU Alumni Chapters in the North Carolina area.
• Join, and participate in, regional admissions and school counselor associations to build solid working relationships.
• Actively participate in various university committees.
• Work with the Alumni Office to support the local alumni group to assist and support the University’s recruitment efforts in the region.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Benefited, 10-month position with high volume activity. Competitive health benefits, leave and retirement plans are available and pro-rated based on 10-month work period.
• Candidate lives in North Carolina and works from a home office and utilizes a personal vehicle.
• Extensive travel is required (as planned and allowed due to COVID-19 restrictions) – Trips with total mileage beyond 25 miles will be reimbursed, appropriate hotel and per diem expenses will also be provided.
• Weekends and evening work is common and expected to meet the recruitment goals of the University.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and education.
• At least a year of recruitment or admissions experience.
• Lives in North Carolina and can work from a home office with the stamina to travel frequently and extensively while working to achieve University recruitment goals.
• Possesses finesse in building strong relationships with students, families, school counselors and other stakeholders.
• Ability to work independently with minimum to no supervision.
• Unexpired Driver’s License, personal vehicle, and active car insurance.
• Ability to obtain and manage a VCU travel card.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
• Experience working as a regional recruiter.
• Experience working with Latinx prospective student populations.
• Knowledge of the North Carolina area and culture.
• Knowledge of VCU or prior VCU student.
• Bi-lingual in Spanish, Arabic, and/or Mandarin Chinese.