Assistant/Associate Professor in Wildlife Disease Epidemiology
Closing: 15 May 2021 or until a qualified candidate is identified. Preferred start date is 20 August 2021.
Position: Tenure-track faculty position at the assistant or associate professor level, depending on qualifications, with the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute and the Department of Rangeland and Wildlife Sciences, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Texas A&M University-Kingsville. This is a 50% research and 50% teaching, tenure-track, 9-month appointment with potential for summer salary. We seek a dynamic scholar to build a research program focused on wildlife epidemiology, disease/parasitology, and disease modeling; teach courses on wildlife disease management and other departmental needs; train graduate and undergraduate students; and extend results to stakeholders, society, and the scientific community. Initial salary shall be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Develop an extramurally-funded research program focusing on wildlife disease ecology/parasitology/disease modeling, commensurate with a 50% research
- Teach one graduate-level course and one undergraduate-level course per semester to meet the needs of the
- Direct graduate and undergraduate students in
- Participate in the academic affairs of the department, college, and university as
Qualifications: Ph.D. in wildlife science, ecology, or related field from an accredited university.
- Evidence of a nationally-recognized program in wildlife disease ecology or wildlife epidemiology, demonstrated by record of research
- Ability to teach courses in wildlife disease ecology, wildlife sciences, and quantitative ecology (i.e., must have a minimum of 18 graduate-level hours in range and wildlife science or similar disciplines related to animal health, ecology, or environmental health).
- Demonstrated potential to attract extramural
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with students, professionals, lay audiences, and other
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Strong quantitative
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with private landowners, other faculty, students, and state, federal, tribal, and private natural resource
- Postdoctoral experience which may include university teaching and research
- Abilities to assist in wildlife disease/parasitology necropsies, population viability analyses, and disease
Location: Texas A&M University-Kingsville (TAMUK) is located in Kingsville, a city of approximately 25,000 in southern coastal Texas. Kingsville is surrounded by the historic King Ranch and is 40 miles south of Corpus Christi (population: 300,000), within 50 miles of Baffin Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, and a 2-hour drive from Mexico. TAMUK serves approximately 9,000 students. The Department of Rangeland and Wildlife Sciences offers B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Range and Wildlife Sciences.
Application: Qualified applicants should submit a (1) cover letter, (2) a statement of teaching, teaching, research philosophies, and commitment to diversity and inclusion, (3) a detailed vita stating education, experience and qualifications, (4) copies of transcripts from all colleges attended, and (5) three professional references including names,
e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers. Address referrals and questions regarding the position to Dr. Humberto Perotto. Submit applications here: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/TAMUK_External
Dr. Humberto Perotto, Chair of Search Committee MSC 218, 700 University Blvd.
Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute Texas A&M University-Kingsville Kingsville, Texas 78363-8202
Prior to issuing a letter of appointment, official transcripts must be received directly from each degree-granting institution by the Office of the Provost, Texas A&M University-Kingsville, MSC 102, Kingsville, Texas 78363-8202. However, for review of application, applicants may submit unofficial transcripts from each institution of higher education attended directly to the search committee chair as instructed above.
Women and minority applicants are encouraged to apply. TAMUK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.