- Hire, train, lead and evaluate staff including: Student Activities Graduate Assistants – one at IW and one at SCC and any work study students – in activities and intramural sports
- Manage relevant budgets at each institution
- Negotiate contracts, schedule and book performers for campus events
- Establish successful working relationships with various departments at both institutions, including but not limited to athletics, food services, marketing, admissions, housing, physical plant, faculty, and staff
- Serve on institutional committees as assigned/volunteer
- Initiate, deliver, and participate in departmental, institutional, and personal professional development activities
- Provide leadership, support, and coordination to help ensure a diverse range of student and campus activities
- Develop programs to encourage commuter and residential student involvement and participation in campus life
- Coordinate with other departments to maintain a comprehensive calendar of student activities
- Oversee events planned by the Student Union Board
- Serve as a resource to student groups and residence life staff for programming ideas
- Develop, schedule, and manage intramural events/activities
- Provide advising to the Student Union Board, Homecoming Committee (IW), Food Committee, Greek Life (IW) and other student groups
- Oversee the operations, functions, budgeting, compliance of all student clubs and organizations at each institution; including clubs, organizations, advisors, Student Union Board Advisor, and other responsibilities as directed
- Work with Academic Affairs, the Student Union Board and PTK (SCC) to coordinate the recognition of student organizations and achievement
- Recruit, select and train student orientation leaders
- Plan and implement new student orientation in conjunction with the Dean of Students and the Student Life Team
- Coordinate student orientation leaders for Summer Orientation Days, as requested by the Office of Admissions
- Supervise two graduate assistants (from IW), one part-time Activities Coordinator at the Keokuk Campus, and multiple work study students
- Apply ethical standards to work situations; make work decisions in accordance with SCC’s and IW’s values and goals; show respect and sensitivity for cultural and philosophical differences, and promote a harassment-free environment
- Embrace and support constructive change; work efficiently and effectively to improve college operations
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with students, colleagues within and outside the department and the general public; contribute toward building a positive team working environment; treat others with respect as a representative of SCC and IW
- Travel among the three campuses to meet with staff, faculty or students, in developing appropriate student activities and events
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Student Personnel or Development, Counseling, Social Work, Education, Athletics/Sports, or related area required; Master’s Degree preferred
- Self motivated, energetic and creative individual with a minimum of two (2) years of proven leadership, planning, and supervisory experience required; 3+ years preferred. Supervisory experience would include supervision of staff, budgets and programs
- Demonstrated ability in budget planning and fiscal management
- Knowledge of computer software applications specifically Google Suite and Microsoft Office programs; ability to learn and develop competency in programming/calendar scheduling within operational systems at both institutions
- Excellent communication skills (listening, speaking, writing) required
- Strong human relations and interpersonal skills to interact positively and effectively with diverse populations (e.g., low income, first-generation college, individuals with disabilities, ethnic/racial groups underrepresented in postsecondary education) are required
- Honesty, integrity and ability to handle confidential matters with discretion is required
- Valid driver’s license required
- Prior work experience in a college/university setting
The Director of Student Engagement and Activities must have the availability to work on a basis of “available as work demands” rather than a fixed schedule is required.
Ability and mobility to serve the SCC and IW districts as needed.
EEO Statement Summary
It is the policy of Southeastern Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, employment, sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, religion, and actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code §§ 216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. §§ 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C. §§ 1681 – 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).
Individuals having questions or complaints related to compliance with this policy should contact Tina Young, Title IX / Equity Coordinator, Southeastern Community College, 1500 W. Agency Road, West Burlington, IA 52655, email firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>, phone number 319/208-5101, fax 319/208-5005 or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661, phone number 312/730-1560, fax 312/730-1576.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Qualified applicants should go to https://scciowa.peopleadmin.com/postings/1332 to answer the screening questions and make sure and upload your resume, cover letter and transcripts in order to be considered for the position. Thank you.