- Serves as the Chief Recruiter for international students by managing a global network of agencies established at Iowa Wesleyan. Work closely alongside the Provost to build enrollment plans for international student services and assist with potential travel international as needed. This position will work closely with traditional admissions on enrollment of international students.
- Serves as a Designated School Official (DSO), maintaining the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and all related certification requirements. Organizes SEVIS data processing under the guidelines provided by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and maintains data and quality control management. Establishes, updates and tracks SEVIS files on a quarterly basis. The position will also serve as a Responsible Officer (RO) for the J-1 scholar program with the Department of State.
- Provides accurate immigration information to international students, monitors and tracks student immigration status, and maintains appropriate files.
- Advises students with immigration petitions and applications to include processing for new F-1 visas, work permits, reinstatement, and reduced course load authorizations, change of status, medical leave, and economic hardship employment authorization.
- Coordinates and plans programs that support the unique needs of F-1 international students including the development and implementation of retention strategies and new student orientation program. Provides active case management to an assigned caseload of students. Supports international students experiencing cross-cultural, family, personal, or economic crisis, which may impact academic performance. Helps students to access appropriate community services/resources.
- Coordinates and provides academic advising services to international students to include evaluating student academic history, developing academic and career goals, and outlining appropriate classes and resources needed to achieve these goals.
- Help review the curriculum for the International Studies Minor and work closely with the Chair of Humanities on assigning adjunct faculty to teach classes in the minor including, but not limited to, the Life and Culture Series.
- Assists international students with processing applications for work permits, reinstatements, extensions of stay and other immigration related matters.
- Serves as student advocate in matters related to grievances, grading issues, tuition appeals, and special financial arrangements.
- Works with international students on academic probation and suspension to develop an improvement plan; monitors progress and identify specific areas for tutoring assistance.
- Functions as liaison with transfer institutions; refers students to appropriate college, community, and university contacts to assist with the transfer process.
- Works collaboratively with program faculty and management to support the development of strategies to enhance student retention.
- Assist with Study Abroad and Loop Abroad Program by providing classroom presentation/informational sessions; responding to inquiries and advising students and staff about the program, University processes, and how it fits into the educational plan.
- Participates in training and maintains a relationship with professional organizations to keep abreast of changes in federal rules and regulations.
- Reviews student admissions form. Refers and schedules student for testing. Enters new student information in to the Student Information System. Work directly with the Iowa Wesleyan Recruitment Agents to facilitate the admissions process and issue the new student I-20s.
- Serve as a liaison and community resource on international education for the region.
- Work closely with Southeastern Community College on ESL program feeders and assisting in collaborative projects.
- Teaching global awareness or culture and diversity classes where needed.
- Streamlining international CAMs policies to fit in already established coding within integral offices that help international students.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Minimum of a master’s degree is required. • Preference to individuals with degrees in language, culture, international education or education. • Study abroad experience or extensive international travel experience is required. • Proficiency in a foreign language is preferred.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates must upload their letter of interest, resume/CV, transcripts, and contact information for three professional references at https://www.iw.edu/careers.
No phone calls please, candidates will be contacted if search committee is in need of further information. Iowa Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer.