Iowa Wesleyan University is seeking an Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residential Life. The Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residential Life is responsible for leading a vibrant and engaging residential life program, managing student conduct, championing co-curricular assessment efforts, and providing support in Student Development leadership and retention initiatives, including management of assigned special projects.
The Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residential Life is specifically responsible for:
- Being an active and engaged Student Development team member willing to assist others in major Student Development initiatives such as New Student Orientation, Homecoming, Greek Week, and Student Leadership selection. Some nights and weekends will be required.
- Initiating, delivering, and participating in departmental, institutional, and personal professional development activities.
- Managing relevant budgets.
- Serving on institutional and student development committees, as assigned.
Dean’s Office Responsibilities:
- Serving as the lead hearing officer for student conduct violations.
- Assisting with the Title IX process as a University Investigator.
- Providing support and guidance to Student Development staff on Assessment.
- Partnering with the Director of Student Engagement and Activities to provide campus and residential engagement opportunities for students.
- Communicating, planning, and coordinating efforts and information with Student Development staff to meet division goals.
- Communicating and collaborating effectively with other departments/divisions as needed, i.e. Student Success Center, Career Development, Internships and Service-Learning, Campus Ministry, Counseling, Security, Athletics, Admissions, Academic Affairs, Physical Plant and Dining).
- Responding to crisis situations on campus.
- Assuming leadership of the Student Development department in the absence of the Dean of Students.
- Serving on various institutional committees as both an official member, but also at times in the Dean’s
- Completing assigned special projects (e.g., Emergency Manual development, New housing planning).
- Performing other duties as may be assigned by the Dean of Students.
Residential Life Responsibilities:
- Implementing and overseeing the administrative functions associated with on-campus housing, including the management of applications for off-campus living, creating a new housing plan, and exploring additional housing options.
- Overseeing and responding to crisis situations in residential buildings.
- Providing for regular inspections of facilities, drug dog searches, and responding accordingly.
- Recruiting, supervising, training, and evaluating professional and student staff in Residential Life.
- Developing and implementing a residential life assessment plan and analyzing data to determine student learning and needs for continuous improvement of the student experience.
- Serving as a resource to Residential Life staff for active and passive programming.
- Advising students and making appropriate referrals with difficult on-campus living situations or adjustments to college life.
- Oversee hiring and supervision of front desk work-study students.
- Responding to requests for information from other University offices and student groups, communicating with parents, faculty, and staff regarding policies and procedures.
- Collaborating with the Director of the Physical Plant in regards to maintenance and housekeeping that affects the residential community.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Dean of Students.
- Master's degree in Higher Education or Student Affairs (strongly preferred) or
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to the duties and at least three years of progressive experience in the areas of student affairs, residential life, and student conduct, within a higher education institution (considered).
- Demonstrated knowledge of residential life policies and procedures, student development theory, as well as best practices and trends in the field.
- Related experience in the areas of student affairs, residential life, and student conduct.
- Demonstrated experience in the creation and delivery of educational programming, strategic planning, and management of a team of professionals.
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal skills, presentation, and facilitation skills, as well as verbal and non-verbal communication skills, in order to communicate with multiple and diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex and sensitive situations objectively and with confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, and judgment skills, with the ability to manage multiple, ongoing, and complex situations and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Valid US Driver’s License with the ability to be authorized to drive IW fleet vehicles for team transportation to and from away contests required.
- Must be available for night and weekend responsibilities.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates must upload their letter of interest, resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references at https://www.iw.edu/employment.
No phone calls please, candidates will be contacted if search committee is in need of further information. Iowa Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer.