The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) seeks a dynamic and innovative leader to serve as its Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA) with an anticipated start date in July/August 2021. The VPAA reports directly to the President and is a member of the senior leadership team providing strategic direction for the college especially in the area of academic affairs. The ideal VPAA candidate will have experience developing academic programs and curricula that prepare students to become forward thinkers and practitioners in the visual arts. MIAD values courage, integrity, kindness, community, innovation, and inclusion.
MIAD student enrollment has grown 50 percent in five years, and is focused on innovation, empathy, and community engagement. MIAD is learning-centered and student-focused. MIAD’s vision for the future is to be a galvanized educational and creative community, addressing broad needs through thought, design, and expression.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Promote the development of outstanding curricula and new academic programming.
- Recommend and communicate academic policy to the Board of Trustees, faculty, and staff.
- Lead all academic programs and academic support programs which include the following areas: Academic Operations, Assessment, Library, Galleries, Institutional Technology, International Programming, Emerging Technology Center, and the Innovation Center.
- Assure excellence in the academic programs through best practices in learning, teaching assessment, and evaluation.
- Lead accreditation processes.
- Maintain and support an outstanding faculty.
- Plan and oversee faculty recruitment, and recommend the employment of those selected to the President.
- Support and advance equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Foster innovation throughout the academic programs.
- Participate in annual and strategic planning.
- Perform other duties as delegated by the President.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- MFA, MA, or Ph.D. in Fine Arts, Design, or Liberal Studies is required.
- Must hold a record of creative and/or scholarly practice.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of teaching at the college level.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive academic leadership at the college level, coupled with clear evidence of successful leadership in academic settings.
- Must have successful experience with academic planning, course and program development, academic assessment and accreditation.
- Conversant with current issues in contemporary visual art and design education.
- Ability to challenge and support students, faculty, and staff through critical and creative thinking and making.
- Experience with implementing strategies for an inclusive learning climate.
- Must have ability to utilize a personal computer and applications and MS Office Suite.
Application Process and Deadline:
Qualified applicants should submit the following information in one (1) pdf document via email to: email@example.com
- A letter of interest;
- A curriculum vita;
- Three (3) reference names and contact information.
Initial review of candidates will occur in early April 2021.
MIAD offers an attractive benefits package, including health, vision and dental insurance. All final candidates extended an offer must successfully complete reference and background checks.
Employment Opportunities | Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (miad.edu)