The University of Arizona STEM Learning Center (SLC) announces a search to commence in Fall 2021 for the position of Research Director- Full Professor with Tenure. The SLC is a university-wide center that promotes access to high-quality experiences, resources, and expertise in the STEM fields. The SLC serves as a centralized hub for connecting resources, people, and best practices to inspire and sustain interest in STEM and STEM pathways. In the vision of the SLC, every person has equitable access to STEM experiences that are inclusive and relevant. We aim to investigate and eliminate barriers that limit access to STEM and STEM pathways for diverse populations.
With this position, we seek an individual who can promote the educational aspects of STEM research on campus and broaden participation in STEM learning experiences across the community. The Research Director will nurture innovative projects that have the potential to improve outcomes for underrepresented groups in STEM. This person will serve as an ambassador of education to STEM researchers and a mentor to STEM researchers in outreach to educational programs.
This position will be a joint appointment in the SLC (49%) and the College of Education (51%) at the full professor level. The University of Arizona is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) which strives to increase the enrollment of underrepresented populations in STEM and in expanding their educational opportunities. This position will continue to strengthen our dedication as an HSI to creating educational equity and opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinate and promote research in STEM fields that identifies and helps to eliminate barriers to participation in STEM learning experiences and pathways
- Pursue grant opportunities to support individual and/or collaborative research that broadens participation in STEM fields
- Teach graduate and undergraduate courses in the appointed department with the College of Education
- Participate in service and community engagement efforts in the department, College of Education, and University of Arizona
- Published research in STEM, STEM-education, higher education, or other area related to pathways in STEM
- Research record commensurate with full professor status
- Experience promoting educational equity in a variety of settings
- Experience bridging STEM research and STEM education research
- Experience obtaining grant funding for large research projects
- Experience administrating STEM education programs
- Familiarity with current trends and issues in STEM education and STEM pathways
- Familiarity with the culture and context of the Southwest Border Region
- Research record related to audiences underrepresented in STEM
Sara Chavarria, Search Committee Chair (email@example.com)
To apply, submit the following materials to [Talentreq4081]:
- Cover Letter
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Diversity statement – Diversity statements should describe how candidates’ research, teaching, and service promote and contribute to our shared goals of social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion in education.
- Name and contact information of THREE References (phone and email)
Please upload your documents as one file under the “Additional Documents” slot within your application.