Financial Aid Counselor
$53,000 – $55,000 • yearly
Salem State University
This entry-level counselor position assists their colleagues in the operations of a financial aid office and occasionally assist the front line service staff to counsel students, parents, and the general public about financial aid policies and procedures. They are empowered to make decisions and solve problems by balancing student needs with federal, state, and institutional policies and regulations and provide input and advisement on processes, policies, and regulations.
The counselor will help students achieve their educational goals by advising them on financial aid options and resources. They will support the mission of Salem State by creating a superior student experience; reducing barriers to success and supporting strategic priorities around equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- Associate degree
- Minimum of one or more years experience in a financial aid office, higher education or closely related field
- Background and/or experience working and communicating with diverse individuals
- Experience working independently and as part of a team
- Experience in exercising discretion and handling confidential information
- Two or more years of experience in a comprehensive financial aid office
- Experience processing financial aid
- Knowledge of federal, state, and university financial aid laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree
- Skill in interpreting and effectively communicating rules and regulations to a diverse audience
- Ability to acquire and exhibit comprehensive knowledge of complex Federal, State, and Institutional financial aid regulations, procedures, and directives in a hybrid work setting
- Fluent in other languages (preferably Spanish)
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5-10 pounds.
Candidate must be able to work a semi-flexible schedule according to departmental needs, which may include occasional evenings and weekends.
Ability and willingness to work both in person and remotely as the university is currently engaged in a hybrid work environment model, which could change.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
This position is not eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time and additional applications will not be accepted.