Director, Student Retention & Success
New Jersey City University
JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs & Enrollment Management, the Director of Student Success and Retention is responsible for providing leadership and strategy for programs and services that facilitate a positive student transition to studying at NJCU and reduce student barriers to engagement and success. This position serves to develop and execute retention strategies to increase the student educational experience and graduation rates. The position requires excellent project management and problem-solving skills, along with research and analysis of issues affecting students to improve time-to-degree and rankings. S/he monitors best practices in advising, student financial aid and awards, student orientation and student engagement, and plays an active role in assessing the needs of NJCU students to ensure the continual enhancement of programming and service quality within the Student Success portfolio. The Director as a key leader and advocate for comprehensive and integrated services that support student transition, that reduce barriers to student progression and success, and that promote student engagement. Reporting directly to this position are the SOAR Office, the Office of Specialized Services and Centralized Tutoring and Academic Support Services
- Evaluate current retention activities and recommend appropriate strategies and resources necessary to achieve increased student retention and graduation rates.
- Complete a comprehensive retention plan that aligns resources to achieve retention goals.
- Collaborate with Enrollment Management, Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Affairs, Advising, and Registrar to create retention strategies and implement targeted intervention initiatives to maintain successful academic progress and student retention.
- Ensure student success and retention for first-generation, transfer, and international students.
- Ensure consistently and mutually reinforcing retention activities across programs, departments, and divisions.
- Develop and implement a data-driven assessment plan to regularly evaluate the effectiveness of retention activities and recommend changes as necessary.
- Develop, maintain, and report on quantitative and qualitative performance measures.
- Manage evaluation processes, recommend and implement changes for enhancement, and monitor effectiveness.
- Develop programs and services to counsel, advise and provide guidance to students and collaborate with department chairs, faculty, and advisors to develop, update, and implement targeted interventions to increase student retention and success.
- Assist in the development of grant proposals to secure external funding for comprehensive retention programs.
- Regularly update university leadership on the progress of retention strategies.
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Master’s degree in Education, Counseling, Higher Education Administration, or a related field
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of experience in student retention, advising, or other student support services.
- Demonstration of results-oriented programs and initiatives for student success and retention
- Ability to work with diverse campus departments and disciplines
- Demonstrated leadership skills in an institution of higher education
- Ability to assess programs/initiatives
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
· Superior listening and critical thinking skills and the ability to multi-task
- Experience with retention data collection and reporting
- Working knowledge of postsecondary academic advising and retention strategies
- Candidates should have the ability to become knowledgeable of the range of varied student services available, enrollment services, academic policies, requirements, and procedures of NJCU.
- Strong interpersonal/human relations skills essential
- Ability to initiate and maintain professional relationships with diverse groups, demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of a diverse student population including low-income, first-generation, students of color, disabled, underrepresented, older and non-traditional, and international students
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication
- The ability to maintain confidentiality is essential
- Must have attention to detail
- Basic skills in productivity software (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Ability to collect, analyze and report retention-related data.
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize, manage multiple priorities, and meet deadlines
- Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and possess excellent organizational skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate university policies and procedures and associated federal and state regulations
We offer a competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
New Jersey City University is a Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus. For the health of our employees, students and visitors, smoking, vaping and tobacco use is not permitted on campus. This includes all buildings, grounds and parking lots
SAME Applicants: Candidates applying under the New Jersey “SAME” program, must include a Schedule A or B letter with other supporting documents (resume, proof of degree, etc.) by the closing date indicated above. For more information, please visit https://nj.gov/csc/same/overview/index.shtml , email: SAME@csc.nj.gov, or call CSC at [Register to View]
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.