Financial Aid Counselor - Scholarship Coordinator- PSS3
New Jersey City University
JOB SUMMARY : Under the direction of the Director, Office of Financial Aid, the Financial Aid Scholarship Coordinator is responsible for providing counseling services to students, parents, and university staff on the financial aid processes and awarding of aid, researches and assists in the resolution of any aid delivery problems, conducts financial aid workshops, review applications for financial aid, award students and package aid appropriately. The coordinator is responsible for awarding NJCU Foundation scholarships, including creation and management of Foundation scholarship application and identification of criteria for eligible students, securing approval from respective department chair(s), if necessary, and securing thank you letters from student recipients.
- Process and review applications for financial aid and make final award determinations for financial aid;
- Creating, managing, and awarding NJCU Foundation Scholarships including application creation, identification of criteria for eligible students and Maintenance of the Foundation Scholarship database including securing thank you letter from student recipients;
- Serve as the liaison Financial Aid workshops, orientations, admissions events and other initiatives;
- Attend workshops and admissions events as assigned;
- Advises and counsel students on the financial aid process and assist them with any application procedures;
- Utilize various financial aid system websites to assist in the administration of aid, including HESAA, COD, and NSLDS;
- Review appeals for academic progress and make determinations if appeal should be granted or denied;
- Verify, review, and correct student financial aid applications according to federal and state guidelines;
- Liaison with specific student populations and on campus offices to ensure timely delivery of required documents and aid funds;
- Participate in professional development to remain current in state and federal regulations;
- Understand and maintain compliance with federal and state financial aid regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Available for evening, weekend, and virtual events and office coverage as required;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director or his/her designee.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial aid regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word, and Excel;
- Excellent communication, customer service, problem solving and organizational skills;
- A commitment to the highest level of student service;
- Ability to work independently;
- He/she must be goal-oriented, energetic, and capable of working effectively with staff and students
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years’ experience working in higher education or a comparable setting, preferably in a financial aid office.
We offer a competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.
For specific application requirements, please refer to NJCU website at: www.njcu.edu
New Jersey City University is a Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus. For the health of our employees, students and visitors, smoking, vaping, and tobacco use is not permitted on campus. This includes all buildings, grounds, and parking lots.
SAME Applicants: Candidates applying under the New Jersey “SAME” program, must include a Schedule A or B letter with other supporting documents (resume, proof of degree, etc.) by the closing date indicated above. For more information, please visit https://nj.gov/csc/same/overview/index.shtml , email: SAME@csc.nj.gov, or call CSC at [Register to View]