Student Support Specialist
$65,000 – $70,000 • yearly
Salem State University
The School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS) seeks a an organized, collaborative individual to serve as the student support specialist to advise and navigate SCPS students timely progress toward program completion, with a focus on student success, and retention by sharing and explaining degree requirements, university policies and procedures, and resources available to support student success. This position tracks student’s academic progress and guides students in the ongoing refinement of their degree plans. The successful candidate will apply detailed knowledge of university academic programs, policies, and procedures; independent judgement and problem-solving skills; and strong communication, technical and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years of experience in an advising or student support role in a higher education setting
- Working knowledge of current laws and best practices related to FERPA, ADA, and other applicable regulations
- Experience using discretion and exercising sound judgement with confidential information
- Master’s degree
- Four years of experience in an advising or student support role in a higher education setting
- Fluency in second language, Spanish preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of student advising in enhancing student learning and development
- Demonstrated ability to build strong student relationships with a diverse student population
- Ability to manage competing demands, set priorities, and provide timely responses to urgent issues
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email email@example.com.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5-10 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
This position is not eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time and additional applications will not be accepted.