Johnson & Wales University
The Science Department at Johnson and Wales University invites applications for a full-time faculty position to begin in Fall 2023. Preference for the position is given to those with expertise in organismal biology. The successful candidate will teach the introductory organismal biology courses plus upper level electives in their field. The successful candidate will also be expected to develop a research program that supports undergraduate research.
Faculty members are responsible for providing students with a rich, relevant and engaging academic experience. The faculty role encompasses teaching, student outcomes assessment, curriculum development, student advising, and university service. Faculty continuously engage in professional development while maintaining current expertise in the applicable content area and developing students through effective and innovative teaching and learning practices.
Diversity & Inclusion
Embracing diversity for a richly inclusive community is a Guiding Principle at JWU. Our students, faculty and staff have varied backgrounds, experiences and perspectives that unite us as one community and contribute to our success. We are committed to enhancing the diversity of our workforce teams and we encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Johnson & Wales University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.
Essential Job Functions
- Demonstrates specialized knowledge and maintains expertise in the theory, skills, and pedagogy of the applicable discipline or profession
- Uses strategies and skills necessary to support student learning and prepares and delivers current and relevant course material in an understandable and motivating manner
- Continually assesses course objectives and instructional methods to improve teaching and learning
- Uses formative and summative assessments of student learning within assigned courses to inform instruction and improve student attainment of course objectives and program outcomes
- Establishes a student and advisor relationship that provides guidance with regard to program choices and career possibilities and supports student educational growth through guided decision making
- Supports the university's outcomes initiatives by working to refine and revise course assignments and evaluation tools and leading or participating in data analysis discussions to make program and course improvements
- Facilitates development and revision of programs and courses, assuring alignment within the program description and outcomes, course objectives and content, as well as university curriculum standards
- Attends commencement, convocation, faculty meetings, department meetings, committee meetings, professional development programs, and other university events, as applicable
- Supports student enrollment and retention by participating in university events, advising student clubs and organizations, and assisting with admissions activities
- Adheres to and fulfills the responsibilities of all faculty members as outlined in the faculty manual
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Earned Ph.D. in biology or a related field of study from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or other appropriate accreditation as determined by Johnson & Wales University (Doctoral degree candidates with an anticipated degree completion by Summer 2023 will also be considered.)
- Successful candidates must be committed to working effectively with diverse student populations
- Higher education teaching experience
Applications should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of research plan, statement of teaching philosophy, and the contact information of at least three references.
Qualified candidates must live or relocate within a daily commuting distance of the Providence Campus location upon hire.
If you are interested in this opportunity, we invite you to apply on the JWU Employment Site at http://work.jwu.edu, requisition #8844. To learn more about Johnson & Wales University go to http://www.jwu.edu.
Questions regarding this position can be addressed to Andrew Karatjas (Andrew.email@example.com), Ph.D., Department Chairperson.