Professional Services Specialist IV/Counselor
New Jersey City University
POSITION: PROFESSIONAL SERVICES SPECIALIST 4/ COUNSELOR
LOCATION: ACADEMIC AFFAIRS, PRE-COLLEGE PROGRAMS
Under the direction of a Professional Services Specialist 2 or higher supervisory officer in the Administrative Services area at a state college, is responsible for independently performing professional work of greater difficulty using established policies, procedures, precedents, and guidelines; does related work as required.
- Conduct group and individual counseling sessions for all students.
- Select, train and supervise student counselors.
- Meet with target school liaisons and to coordinate school visits.
- Plan and coordinate parent workshops
- Coordinator college tours and field trips.
- Collect student data (i.e. report cards).
- Attend meetings and seminars as required.
- Screen and interview applicants for participant eligibility.
- Assess participant’s potential for post-secondary educational goals.
- Assess participants’ academic needs and make appropriate recommendation (i.e. tutoring).
- Prepare improvement plan for each student (i.e. personal education plan).
- Maintain participants’ files according to proposed guidelines.
- Assist participants with exploration of career fields and goals.
- Coordinate campus and college field trips.
- Coordinate and/or conduct financial aid workshops for parents and participants.
- Assist participants with the college application process.
- Participate in staff development and in-service meetings.
- Prepare and submit monthly reports on program activities (i.e. OSHE Scope & Sequence and Counseling Portfolio).
- Maintain an effective working relationship with the university target school administrators, staff, and faculty.
- Performs other tasks as needed.
- Adhere to program policies and procedures in carrying out the goals and objectives of the program and NJCU.
EDUCATION: Graduation from an accredited college/university with a minimum of bachelor’s degree.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of professional experience in an institution of higher learning experience working with at-risk youth or a field that is directly related to the functions of the position.
REQUIRED: Letter of application, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
PREFERRED: Experience with Pre-College programs and a Master’s degree is preferred or an equivalency as determined by the appointing authority.
We offer a competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.