First-Generation Student Success Coach
$50,000 – $55,000 • yearly
Salem State University
The first-generation success coach supports first-generation students in their first and second year of college through a comprehensive coaching program as part of the student success and first year experience office and first-generation success center. The success coach will assist in the supervision of graduate students and maintain a case-load of first-generation students. The success coach works to fulfill the goals of the area and honor the mission of the university while positively impacting the experience of first-generation students. This is a twelve-month, position and includes evening and weekend commitments.
Please Note: This is a 2-year grant-funded position. Continued employment is contingent upon funding past the second year.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in counseling, social work, psychology, education or a related field
- Experience serving in a staff or student leadership role within the higher education setting
- Experience working individually with college students around transition and success initiatives
- Master’s degree in higher education/student affairs or related field
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Evidence of strong written and communication skills
- Experience developing and sustaining productive collaborative relationships with colleagues (faculty and staff) in support of student success
- Demonstrated knowledge around the strengths of and challenges faced by first-generation college students
- Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5-10 pounds.
Ability to work a flexible schedule according to departmental needs, which may include occasional evenings and weekends.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
This position is not eligible for H1B visa sponsorship.
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty, will need to be in compliance with Salem State University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may be removed at any time and additional applications will not be accepted.