Financial Aid Counselor - Professional Services Specialist III
New Jersey City University
POSITION: FINANCIAL AID COUNSELOR- PROFESSIONAL SERVICES SPECIALIST III
LOCATION: FINANCIAL AID
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Director, Office of Financial Aid, the Financial Aid Counselor is responsible for providing counseling services to students, parents, and university staff on the financial aid processes and awarding of aid, researches and assists in the resolution of any aid delivery problems, conducts financial aid workshops, review applications for financial aid, award students and package aid appropriately.
- Process and review applications for financial aid and make final award determinations for financial aid;
- Serve as the liaison Financial Aid workshops, orientations, admissions events and other initiatives;
- Attend workshops and admissions events as assigned;
- Advises and counsel students on the financial aid process and assist them with any application procedures;
- Utilize various financial aid system websites to assist in the administration of aid, including HESAA, COD, and NSLDS;
- Review appeals for academic progress and make determinations if appeal should be granted or denied;
- Verify, review, and correct student financial aid applications according to federal and state guidelines;
- Liaison with specific student populations and on campus offices to ensure timely delivery of required documents and aid funds;
- Participate in professional development to remain current in state and federal regulations;
- Understand and maintain compliance with federal and state financial aid regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Available for evening, weekend, and virtual events and office coverage as required;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director or his/her designee.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial aid regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word, and Excel;
- Excellent communication, customer service, problem solving and organizational skills;
- A commitment to the highest level of student service;
- Ability to work independently;
- He/she must be goal-oriented, energetic, and capable of working effectively with staff and students
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years experience working in higher education or a comparable setting, preferably in a financial aid office.
We offer a competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.
For specific application requirements, please refer to NJCU website at: www.njcu.edu
New Jersey City University is a Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus. For the health of our employees, students and visitors, smoking, vaping and tobacco use is not permitted on campus. This includes all buildings, grounds and parking lots.