California State University, Long Beach
Job No: 521962
Work Type: Staff
Location: Long Beach
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Temporary, Full Time, Research
Maintain Geological Sciences department teaching collections and equipment under the general direction of the department chair and provide instructional assistance to faculty in setting up class labs.
- Assist in setting up and breaking down introductory and upper division Geology labs and activities, help with on-campus outdoor experiments, prepare, and maintain field gear for class field trips and summer field. Routinely check vehicles for safety and operation and oversee maintenance by directly communicating with fleet services in Beach Building Services.
- Maintain teaching resources and collections. Maintain and track field gear loaned to students. Keep all materials in the Geology Issue Room, HSCI 004, cage labeled and sorted with accurate logs of use.
- Operate a wide variety of field and laboratory instruments, such as the x-ray diffractometer, ion chromatograph, x-ray fluorescence scanner, rock saws, rock crushers, Franz magnetic separator, microscopes, drones, magnetometers. Provide routine maintenance of instruments and safety logs.
- Assist faculty in training teaching assistants and students on the use of specified equipment, including the digital sandbox, stream table, x-ray diffractometer, ion chromatograph, XRF scanner, rock saws, microscopes. Maintain SOPs and documentation of safety training for specific instruments. Maintain chemical inventory.
- Maintain Geology classrooms/teaching labs. Conduct weekly tour to put back teaching materials, refill supplies, and to check for damaged chairs and equipment.
Demonstrated ability to be organized and to manage multiple teaching resources. Ability to recognize and sort basic rocks, minerals, and fossils. Knowledge of basic field and laboratory safety procedures. Practical experience operating and/or maintaining instrumentation with demonstrated ability to learn department-specific instruments and train students as needed is preferred. Maintain a valid CA driver's license and ability to drive large State Vehicles. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds to move equipment and instrumentation for maintenance. Strong communication skills for coordination with multiple university entities and multiple faculty personnel.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
Equivalent to three (3) years of experience providing instructional support services for a related unit or discipline, or in producing materials or supplies or repairing equipment related to the discipline required. Bachelor's degree or higher in Geology, Earth Science, or related field preferred.
Licenses / Certificates
CA Driver's License required.
Instructional Support Technician II
The targeted salary may be set as high as $4,949 per month based on experience. The salary range for this classification is $4,180 to $7,254 per month.
Excellent benefits through CalPERS (health, vision, dental), tuition fee waiver, generous vacation and sick leave, and 14 paid holidays each year.
Full-time temporary position for two (2) years with no permanent status granted. Temporary assignments may expire prior to the ending date.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application. Required documentation includes a Resume, and a Cover Letter is optional. Research Statement, Diversity Statement, and Portfolio are not required.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
To view the University's Annual Campus Crime Report go to: http://daf.csulb.edu/offices/ppfm/police/statistics/index.html. Copies of the report are available upon request. To request a copy, contact the University Police Department at [Register to View] .
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to COVID19-Staff-Info@csulb.edu.
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Application Closes: Jan 15, 2023 (11:55 PM)
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/521962/geology-technician
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-0e0cd023cc982b4ea52eaa36ec20902d