Human Resources Systems Specialist
Human Resources Systems Specialist
For full details and to apply, go to https://jobs.miracosta.edu/postings/3298
Type of Assignment: Full Time
Assignment Category: Regular Position
One regular, full-time position, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year on the Oceanside campus. The work schedule will be Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, with up to 3 days of remote work possible per week at the discretion of the supervisor. The person selected for this position will be subject to assignment to any district facility during any hours of operation.
Remote Work: MiraCosta College believes that flexible work enables employees to achieve a more successful balance between work responsibilities and family life. The District offers the opportunity to telework (remote work) for certain positions, depending on the operational needs of the District and the provisions of the telework policy. Probationary and temporary employees are not eligible to telework unless approved by the appropriate vice president. No employee is guaranteed the right to telework. No employee shall be authorized to telework 100% of the time; regular, on-campus presence is expected for all District employees on a weekly basis.
IMPORTANT: MiraCosta College requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to promote a safe and healthful workplace for employees and to promote the health and safety of our campus community. Unvaccinated employees are at greater risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 within the workplace and to the college community that depends on college programs and services. As of August 23, 2021, all employees must submit proof of vaccination or request and receive approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. For more information, please visit https://www.miracosta.edu/covid/covid-vaccination-requirements.html.
Salary Range: 25
Compensation: Starting at $73,855 – $77,881 per year (range 25, step 1 or step 2), initial step placement will be determined based on directly related experience, with annual salary step increases up to step 5. In addition, after five years of district service, employees earn a longevity stipend that increases over time.
Employees must make arrangements for the direct deposit of paychecks into the financial institution of their choice, via electronic fund transfer.
MiraCosta College offers an array of benefits to eligible employees.
- The district pays 100% of the cost of medical, dental and vision insurance for eligible employees and dependents
- $100,000 life insurance policy
- Up to $250 of benefit credits per month to help pay for a variety of voluntary benefit options, such as supplemental life insurance, disability coverage, and health care/dependent care flexible spending account (FSA)
- Vacation, sick leave, and up to 18 paid holidays
- State pension system retirement benefits (CalPERS)
- Free and confidential employee assistance program
- Wellness Program
- Participation in the District’s Early Retirement Program
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Tuition fee reimbursement
- Childcare Facility (Oceanside Campus)
Position Term in Months: 12
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number:
1. Application on which you list all relevant experience.
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and experience.
3. A cover letter addressed to the “Screening and Interview Committee” specifically describing how your experience aligns with the Essential Duties, Other Duties, and Desirable Qualifications.
4. Transcripts of college coursework which provide evidence of meeting the minimum qualifications as stated in this job posting. Unofficial or legible photocopies are acceptable. If a degree(s) was earned, the transcripts must state that the degree was awarded. Any degree/coursework used to satisfy the minimum qualifications must be from a postsecondary institution accredited by an accreditation agency recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation.
If your degree(s) is from a college or university outside of the United States, you must submit a detailed evaluation from a professional evaluation agency. To view a list of agencies approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, go to https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl635.pdf?sfvrsn=6. Transcripts or translations in English still require the evaluation to show the U.S. equivalence of your degree.
The screening and interview committee will review application materials for up to three to four weeks following the closing/first screening date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected for interview will be notified by e-mail once interview candidates have been scheduled.
Offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) proof of being fully vaccinated* for COVID-19 or requesting and receiving approval for a medical or religious exemption; 2) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense; 3) submission of a current tuberculosis test clearance; 4) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; 5) fingerprint clearance; and 6) approval by the Board of Trustees.
*Individuals are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks or more after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (e.g. Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or two weeks or more after they have received a single-dose vaccine (e.g., Johnson and Johnson [J&J/Janssen).
Retired STRS members are not eligible for this position.
Under general supervision, perform highly responsible technical duties to support operations and administration of human resources modules of the district’s enterprise resources planning system (Workday); research and resolve system problems and helpdesk tickets; provide training and end user support on system business processes and data requirements; audit and process the more complex personnel requisitions and transactions; ensure the accuracy of personnel requisition and employment transaction data.
Human Resources Systems Specialist is distinguished from Human Resources Technician and Senior Human Resources Technician in that an incumbent in the class performs technical duties requiring both a detailed understanding of Workday system operations, functionalities, business processes and data requirements as well as district human resources policies, procedures and practices applicable to employment for a wide range of faculty and classified positions. The Human Resources System Specialist also functions in a lead capacity to the Human Resources Technician supporting operations and system technical support for HR staff; provides system end user training; and reviews and approves the accuracy and appropriateness of and enters proposed compensation transactions into Workday.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
1. Exhibit an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, and employees, including those with physical or learning disabilities, and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
2. Perform ongoing technical support for operation and administration of Workday human resources system module including core HR, benefits administration, absence tracking and payroll administration; participate in testing and implementing system changes and updates to ensure expected system workflows, performance and data integrity; work with users to define and analyze business and operational workflows and operational problems; make recommendations to Human Resources Systems Analyst and Supervisor on changes to meet process, data and reporting requirements; audit data to ensure the accuracy of employment reports generated from Workday.
3. Develop training materials and job aids and conduct training and demonstrations for end users on Workday functionalities, business process workflows and data requirements; provide guidance and coaching to end users on processing complex personnel requisition and employment transactions; answers user questions regarding proper procedures for processing staffing transactions, onboarding processes, HR department employment procedures and retirement plan options for differing employment types.
4. Serve as technical information resource for the Workday compensation module; execute revised and/or new salary schedules, grade profiles and condition rules and requirements; review, enter, and approve proposed compensation transactions to ensure accuracy and adherence of compensation change transactions in accordance with district policies, procedures, practices, and legal and bargaining agreement requirements.
5. Provide helpdesk support to system users on Workday operations, workflows and data requirements; perform research to identify root causes of system or user error; analyze and report unexpected results; determine and apply or recommend solutions; guide end users in correcting transaction errors, where possible.
6. Process complex personnel requisitions and Workday staffing/onboarding transactions; review requisitions for accuracy and conformance with district employment policies; correct or rescind staffing transactions within levels of authority; coordinate with Payroll to identify and resolve discrepancies as needed.
7. Serve as technical resource and functional lead for the personnel requisition (PR) system; maintain and test system setup and workflows; troubleshoot and resolve system problems and errors; assist other Technicians with PR processing and communication with departments to ensure accuracy and compliance with district policies and procedures.
8. Oversee and participate in preparing personnel reports for the Board of Trustees and required new hire reports for the state Employment Development Department; identify and correct data errors and discrepancies.
9. Provide a wide range of information to faculty, staff, and administrators; interact effectively with employees and department managers on a wide variety of personnel issues; provide technical advice and detailed assistance to employees regarding interpretation of district policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreements, working conditions manuals, or applicable laws.
10. Collaborate with Human Resources Systems Analyst and Senior Enterprise Application Developer to develop reports for operational needs; analyze and audit newly developed reports to determine accuracy and ensure HRIS data integrity.
1. Provide technical training and guidance to other Human Resources staff on processing staffing and personnel requisition transactions.
2. Train and provide lead level work direction to Human Resources Technician supporting operations and guidance to other staff as assigned.
3. Provide backup to other department staff as needed.
4. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Human resource concepts, policies, procedures and practices applicable to the administration of recruitment, selection, hiring, benefit and compensation programs.
2. Highly detailed technical knowledge in HRIS systems, retirement, Education Code as it relates to public employment, department practices, district policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements and employee working condition manuals.
3. Federal, state and local laws and regulations, State Education Code and State Chancellor’s Office provisions.
4. Basic principles and practices of systems analysis and design.
5. Functions, capabilities and characteristics of human resource information systems such as Workday.
6. Methods, techniques and practices for planning and conducting systems testing and for troubleshooting and determining causes of business process and data errors and discrepancies.
7. Methods and techniques for developing and conducting user training and instruction on Workday system processes and requirements.
8. Principles, practices, concepts and techniques used in customer service, public relations and community outreach.
9. Advanced technical uses of standard business software applications such as Excel.
10. General methods and techniques of project planning and management.
11. Operations, services and activities of a community college district.
12. Principles and practices of sound business communication; correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
13. District organization, functions, rules, policies and procedures applicable to assigned areas of responsibility.
14. Safety policies and safe work practices applicable to the work.
1. Organize, set priorities and exercise sound independent judgment with a high degree of attention to detail in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
2. Understand, interpret, explain, apply and reach sound decisions in accordance with legal and contract requirements, district and department policies, procedures and plan provisions pertaining to areas of responsibility.
3. Utilize and train others in the uses of complex computer systems and tools for administration of a wide variety of employment programs and activities.
4. Troubleshoot, diagnose and research business process, system and data problems and errors.
5. Organize work to complete project responsibilities efficiently and effectively.
6. Demonstrate proficiency in researching, compiling, organizing and reporting statistical and informational data and carrying out complex analysis of data.
7. Represent the district and department effectively with other departments.
8. Provide effective training and technical guidance to lower-level staff.
9. Prepare and maintain accurate and complete files and records.
10. Compose clear, concise and comprehensive analyses, correspondence, reports, studies, agreements, presentations and other written materials from brief instructions.
11. Read, interpret, explain and apply complex technical information on systems processes and interdependencies for technical and non-technical audiences.
12. Maintain confidentiality of district and personnel files and records.
13. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
14. Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
15. Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and disability issues.
16. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
Education & Experience:
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
Graduation from a four-year college or university and two (2) years of human resources work experience, at least one (1) year of which involves the use and operation of human resources information systems;
OR graduation from an associate degree program and four (4) years of human resources work experience, at least two (2) years of which involves the use and operation of human resources information systems;
OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
NOTE: For work experience, one “year” is defined as equivalent to 40 hours per week for 12 months, or at least 2,080 hours.
Previous experience working with the operational aspects of a Human Resources information management system, such as Workday, PeopleSoft, or other cloud based HR management system.
Licenses & Other Requirements:
A valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under the district’s vehicle insurance program.
The physical efforts described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily sedentary with intermittent standing, walking, bending and stooping; occasional light lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Ability to work at a computer, including repetitive use of computer keyboard, mouse or other control devices. Ability to travel to various locations on and off campus as needed to conduct district business.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships involving interactions and communications personally, by phone and in writing with a variety of individuals and/or groups from diverse backgrounds on a regular, ongoing basis; ability to work effectively under pressure on a variety of tasks concurrently while meeting established deadlines and changing priorities.
Primarily business office environment; subject to frequent public contact and interruption; intermittent exposure to individuals acting in a disagreeable fashion; occasional evening, weekend and/or holiday hours are required on an as-needed basis.
Posting Number: S22/23018P
Human Resources Contact Information: email@example.com or [Register to View]
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled: Yes
First Screening Date: Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California's 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at https://www.miracosta.edu/office-of-the-president/board-of-trustees/_docs/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion.pdf
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-11b4d0f09393494b985fbfd3200ad416