Assistant Professor- Art 23-26
California State University, Northridge
Assistant Professor- Art 23-26
Faculty Hire Number: #23-26
Rank: Assistant Professor
Effective Date of Appointment: August 23, 2023 (Subject to Budgetary Approval)
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications
CSUN's Commitment to You:
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
For more information about the University, visit: http://www.csun.edu
About the College:
For more information about the Mike Curb College of Arts, Media, and Communication, see:
About the Department:
For more information about the Department of Art, see:
The Department of Art at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is seeking a tenure-track faculty member in Art Education at the rank of Assistant Professor. The successful candidate will teach pre-credential art students preparing to apply to the Single Subject Credential Program in Art after graduation, students in Child and Adolescent Development and Liberal Studies who may apply to the Multiple Subject Credential Program after graduation, general education students and students from other departments who may be interested in learning about teaching art. In addition to teaching, the position requires weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, and service to the department, college, and university. The successful candidate will be held to the standards and requirements of the college and department in which he/she/they is/are housed for recommending tenure and promotion. The responsibilities of this position include: teaching introductory and upper-division courses in the area of Art Education; collaborating with art education faculty in an interdisciplinary, studio-based art education program; providing leadership in curriculum development and credential preparation; advising undergraduate majors; participating in committee work at department, college and University levels; acting as liaison with other
appropriate sectors of the campus responsible for teacher education and with the Pre K-12 community; and demonstrating ongoing commitment to professional memberships and scholarly/creative research activities in the field.
As a Hispanic-serving Institution (HSI), inclusiveness and diversity are integral to CSUN's commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As of Fall 2020, CSUN enrolls ~40,000 students, where 56% are Latinx, 20.8% are White, 9.3% are Asian American, 4.8% are Black/African American, 0.1% are Native American, and 0.1% are Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. The successful candidate will help the Department achieve equitable outcomes for all students through teaching, student mentorship, scholarship, and service.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in art education or education with a related focus from an accredited institution. Degree acquisition by date of hire.
- Teaching experience(s) with K-12 age groups.
- Evidence of research, scholarly and creative activities in art education or related fields.
- K-12 Art teaching credential/certification or experience working with candidates in a Teacher Licensure/Teaching Credentialing program.
- Demonstrated successful K-12 teaching in ethnically, culturally, and linguistically diverse settings.
- Demonstrated potential or documented experience in teaching art education at college level, including mentoring or working with first-generation and underrepresented undergraduate students.
- Strong studio commitment with demonstrated knowledge of foundation art skills.
- Research activity, including a record of peer reviewed publications, conference presentations and/or creative activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Art Education curriculum such as interdisciplinary content, issues-based art education, and standards-based teacher preparation practice.
- Demonstrated commitment to preparing future teachers in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) to work in diverse K-12 classrooms.
Screening of applications will begin January 9, 2023. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply:
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Applicants must submit the following items to the website in the section above
- A cover letter of application addressing the above qualifications.
- A complete and current curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three professional references, including phone numbers and email addresses.
In later stages of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide additional materials, including:
- 1-2 Page statement of teaching philosophy, including commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), in working with diverse student populations.
- Minimum 20 labeled digital images (image size:150 ppi or 3 mb each) of both own and student work (10/10, clearly marked for each). For video uploads: (brief) video clips should be submitted via a link in your application documents for YouTube or Vimeo.
- One example of an Art Education curriculum unit or lesson plan.
- One syllabus example in Art Education or related discipline.
- Certification/credential documentation.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the United States.
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available on-line here. Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
As a condition of employment, all employees need to certify vaccination status by attesting they are fully vaccinated, need a medical exemption, need a religious exemption, or are not working on campus. You can obtain more information about or access the full vaccination policy here.
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting The Department of Art - [Register to View] .
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/nr/en-us/job/521750/assistant-professor-art-2326
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency