The School of Art at Ball State University welcomes applications a tenure-track positions at the level of Assistant Professor of Art in Graphic Design / Graphics Arts Management to begin August, 2023.
At Ball State University, Inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
Our dynamic faculty function as collaborative, innovative, inclusive and adaptive members of the College of Fine Arts community, both within and beyond the home unit, serving as quality teachers, productive in creative and/or scholarly work, engaged in public service activities, and contributing to the Ball State and Muncie communities and beyond. Additionally, lifelong learning at Ball State University extends educational engagement beyond the classroom and includes learning for professional development, personal enrichment, or other goals throughout one’s lifetime. Faculty will be expected to participate in the department’s, college’s, and university’s lifelong learning opportunities when available and may be assigned teaching responsibility in this area as part of their overall responsibilities.
- Teaching undergraduate BFA Visual Communication/Graphic Design courses
- Specific courses include, but are not limited to:
- ADS 200 Design: Computer for Visual Communication/Graphic Design
- ADS 241 Design: Introduction to Typography and Tools
- ADS 242 Design: Introduction to Design Systems and Practices
- ADS 301 Web Design: Coding for Designers
- ADS 302 Motion Graphics for Visual Communication
- ADS 341 Design: Advanced Practices 1
- ADS 342 Design: Advanced Practices 2
- ADS 441 Design: Research and Professional Practices
- ADS 442 Design: Senior Project and Portfolio
- Engaging in professional practice, research, and activities related to the discipline commensurate with the requirements for tenure
- Contributing to curriculum development and departmental service
- The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities
- Other teaching duties based on programmatic need and the expertise of the faculty hired individual may be assigned
- Contribute to development of partnerships between the BFA in Graphic Design and BS Graphic Arts Management majors
- An MFA or other relevant terminal degree (MDes, MAxGD, etc.) from an accredited institution in graphic design, visual communication or related area, with an interactive design emphasis OR: Equivalent professional experience of a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience working in the design industry.
- Apple platform expertise
- Evidence of appropriate professional and/or creative activity in design as demonstrated by portfolio samples of professional work.
- Understanding of design history and methodology, conceptual approaches as evidenced in teaching philosophy and artist’s statement.
Employer will consider sponsorship.
- Documented teaching experience at the college or university level beyond graduate assistantship
- Understanding of the critical, historical, and theoretical aspects of graphic and interactive design.
- Broad knowledge of contemporary issues in visual culture with the capacity for forward thinking about the role of graphic design in the 21st century.
- Expertise with current Adobe Creative Suite, strong skills in typography, brand/identity, web design, Interactive design (UI/UX), and Motion Graphics.
- Web design skills and a command of current technologies and software.
- Evidence of working successfully in a collaborative team approach to teaching, collaborate with faculty to add to the program’s current strengths with new and innovative courses.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- A strong research practice that engages new schools of thought that intersect with traditional graphic design.
Apply online at: https://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/34802.
Required Applicant documents:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Portfolio of 20 images of applicant’s work (saved as a single .pdf with links to time-based work samples), 20 images of student design projects (saved as a single .pdf). If document size exceeds 10 MB, a link to portfolio may be provided
- URL of Applicant’s portfolio website under the “Other” document in the Applicant Documents section
- List of courses taught
- Artist’s statement
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- An inclusive excellence statement describing how you would contribute to the development of a diverse and inclusive learning community at Ball State University through your teaching, research, and/or service. Please include examples of your contributions when possible. Word limit 500.
Additionally, contact information with email addresses for three professional references is required in the application.
The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earned is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted.
Review of applications will begin immediately. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 1/9/2023. The annual salary for this opportunity starts at $53,000.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, on an attractive campus 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students enroll in one of eight academic colleges that offer 120 undergraduate programs. We offer more than 140 master’s, doctoral, certificate, and specialist degrees, with many of them ranking among the best in the nation. Ball State aspires to be the model of the most student-centered and community-engaged of the 21st century public research universities, transforming entrepreneurial learners into impactful leaders – committed to improving the quality of life for all.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit: https://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/HumanResources/Jobs/Benefits-and-Community/Faculty
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.