Assistant/Associate Professor Game Design/Animation
Ball State University
The School of Art invites applications for a tenure‐track Assistant or Associate Professor position in Game Art/Design. Game Art/Design is a new concentration track in Visual Art/Animation BFA degree in the School of Art in partnership with the School of Music and the Department of Computer Science beginning August 2023.
Our dynamic faculty function as collaborative, innovative, inclusive and adaptive members of the College of Fine Arts community, both within and beyond the home unit, serving as quality teachers, productive in creative and/or scholarly work, engaged in public service activities, and contributing to the Ball State and Muncie communities and beyond. Additionally, lifelong learning at Ball State University extends educational engagement beyond the classroom and includes learning for professional development, personal enrichment, or other goals throughout one’s lifetime. Faculty will be expected to participate in the department’s, college’s, and university’s lifelong learning opportunities when available and may be assigned teaching responsibility in this area as part of their overall responsibilities.
At Ball State University, Inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
- Development and teaching of introductory and core courses in the discipline
- Development of courses in their area(s) of specialization
- Specific courses include:
- ART 210 Animation: Introduction to 3D
- ART 311 Animation: 3D Modeling, Texturing, Lighting, and Rendering
- ART 341 Animation: Game Engine 01
- ART 342 Animation: Game Engine 02
- ART 312 Animation: 3D Animation, Rigging, and Simulation
- ART 440Animation: Game Design Studio Pre-Production
- ART 441 Animation: Game Design Studio
- ART 490 Animation: Senior Project
- This faculty member is also responsible for producing scholarship/creative work commensurate with the requirements for tenure.
- The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities
- Other teaching duties based on programmatic need and the expertise of the faculty hired individual may be assigned"
- Terminal degree (MFA, PhD) in computer animation, or equivalent degree from an accredited institution, or significant sustained industry experience in cinematics, and/or game development
- Evidence of excellent technical skills in industry standard practices to instruct undergraduate and graduate students in Unreal Engine and related software/hardware used in game development and/or virtual production and/or virtual reality
- Evidence of a strong record of achievement with significant accomplishments appropriate to the level of appointment
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching of a very diverse student population, including first‐generation college students Demonstrated ability to communicate and work collaboratively within a culturally diverse community of BSU students, faculty, staff, and administrators
Employer will consider sponsorship.
- Strong understanding of UE Blueprints, and Simulations, Rigging/Animation or Mocap/Retargeting as it relates to cinematics, games, and/or 3D computer animation production
- Evidence of a current professional practice in virtual production or game engines for cinematic storytelling and/or experimental art
- Evidence of professional practice using Python and/or C++ scripting for animation tools and game engines
- Experience and/or interest in developing new curriculum in game development and/or virtual production
- Familiarity with Autodesk Maya, Substance 3D Painter, and/or Zbrush
Apply online at: https://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/34780.
Required Applicant documents:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Portfolio of 20 images of applicant’s designs (saved as a single .pdf with links to time-based work samples), a link to portfolio may be provided
- 20 images of student design projects (saved as a single .pdf). If document size exceeds 10 MB, a link to portfolio may be provided
- URL of Applicant’s portfolio website under the “Other” document in the Applicant Documents section
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy.
- An inclusive excellence statement describing how you would contribute to the development of a diverse and inclusive learning community at Ball State University through your teaching, research, and/or service. Please include examples of your contributions when possible. Word limit 500.
Additionally, contact information with email addresses for three professional references is required in the application.
The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earned is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted.
Review of applications will begin immediately. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 1/9/2023. The annual salary for this opportunity starts at $53,000.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, on an attractive campus 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students enroll in one of eight academic colleges that offer 120 undergraduate programs. We offer more than 140 master’s, doctoral, certificate, and specialist degrees, with many of them ranking among the best in the nation. Ball State aspires to be the model of the most student-centered and community-engaged of the 21st century public research universities, transforming entrepreneurial learners into impactful leaders – committed to improving the quality of life for all.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit: https://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/HumanResources/Jobs/Benefits-and-Community/Faculty
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.