Iowa Wesleyan University’s Student Life department is seeking an Area Coordinator responsible for providing leadership and support to a specific area of on-campus residential facilities and communities. As an Area Coordinator, you will be hiring and supervising student staff members, serving in an on-call emergency capacity, and creating an engaging and challenging atmosphere which supports student success within their residential area.
Residential Life Responsibilities
- Overseeing the operations of a traditional residence hall, a suite-style residence, and an apartment complex.
- Designing and implementing engaging programming in the residence halls.
- Overseeing and leading all major building functions such as opening / closing buildings, organizing, and tracking paperwork (maintenance requests, check-in forms, room changes, etc.)
- Holding open office hours (Monday through Friday as determined by the Assistant Dean of Students)
- In collaboration with the Assistant Dean of Students, lead resident assistant selection or resident assistant training.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Dean of Students, train, supervise, and evaluate Resident Assistants (student staff).
- Facilitate the assessment and evaluation of residential life staff performance, residential life community concerns, and residential student satisfaction.
- Meeting regularly with student staff individually and as a group to deliver pertinent information, assign tasks, and promote teamwork and collegiality.
- Assisting and guiding students in their academic pursuits and success, college transitions, and personal matters.
- Providing mediation for conflicts among roommates or floor mates.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Dean of Students, manage hall budgets for programming and student needs.
- Serving in a weekly on-call rotation for campus after hours.
- Establish positive working relationships with the Physical Plant, Housekeeping, Faculty, and Staff.
- Working with the Title IX coordinator to deliver communications, training, and/or programs to the residence hall community.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean of Students or the Office of Student Development.
- Actively engaging in Student Development initiatives and operations such as attending Student Development staff meetings and departmental functions (i.e. – midnight Finals breakfast, Orientation, Homecoming, etc.).
- Communicating daily with the central Student Development Office.
- Carrying out a Collateral Assignment within Student Development.
- Collateral Assignments are 10 – 15 hours per week on average (time demands vary based on time of year). Collateral assignments are based on Student Development needs and AC interest but tend to exist in Intramurals, Diversity Services, Safety and Security, First Year Experience, Student Activities, or other Student Development needs.
- Serving as club/organization advisor when requested.
- Serving on institutional and student development committees as assigned.
- Participating in Student Development Professional Development Program.
- Serving as a contributor to Student Development social media.
- Employee is responsible for determining own work assignments by referring to employee plan of work, annual divisional initiatives, and employment policies for guidance. Employee independently constructs new methods to meet conditions and confers with the Assistant Dean of Students regarding unusual matters.
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degrees are preferred.
- Demonstrate an interest and passion for student affairs and preferably residential life.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates must upload their letter of interest, resume/CV, transcripts, and contact information for three professional references at https://www.iw.edu/careers.
No phone calls please, candidates will be contacted if search committee needs further information. Iowa Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer.
Iowa Wesleyan University is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. No person may be unlawfully discriminated against in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, creed, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. All aspects of the employment relationship are covered by this policy, and all employees and applicants are protected from unlawful discrimination in recruiting, hiring, placement, training, evaluation, job assignment, pay, benefits, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, or discharge. Any form of discrimination or retaliation is not allowed.
Iowa Wesleyan University expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, creed, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other protected status.