Custodian (Substitute) 2022-2023
For full details and to apply, go to https://jobs.miracosta.edu/postings/3217
Type of Assignment: Full Time
Assignment Category: Temporary Assignment
MiraCosta College is building a pool of substitute custodians. Substitute custodian assignments are on-call as needed, with working hours anytime between Monday through Thursday, 10:00 p.m. - 6:30 a.m., and Friday, 3:00 - 11:30 p.m. (hours subject to change when school is not in session) at any of MiraCosta College's work sites.
Applications are valid through June 30, 2022, at which time they will expire. A new posting for this pool will be posted on July 1, 2022, and those still interested will need to reapply at that time. IMPORTANT: MiraCosta College requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to promote a safe and healthful workplace for employees and to promote the health and safety of our campus community. Unvaccinated employees are at greater risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 within the workplace and to the college community that depends on college programs and services. As of August 23, 2021, all employees must submit proof of vaccination or request and receive approval for a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. For more information, please visit https://www.miracosta.edu/covid/covid-vaccination-requirements.html.
Salary Range: 10
Compensation: $23.03 per hour (range 10, step 1).
Employees must make arrangements for the direct deposit of paychecks into the financial institution of their choice, via electronic fund transfer.
Short-term, temporary employees may be eligible for Healthy Families Sick Leave, and enrollment in a retirement system.
Position Term in Months: Varies
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number:
1. Application on which you list all relevant experience.
Offer of employment to the person(s) selected for this position is contingent upon 1) proof of being fully vaccinated* for COVID-19 or requesting and receiving approval for a medical or religious exemption; 2) submission of a current tuberculosis test clearance; 3) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; 4) fingerprint clearance; and 5) approval by the Board of Trustees.
*Individuals are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks or more after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (e.g. Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or two weeks or more after they have received a single-dose vaccine (e.g., Johnson and Johnson [J&J/Janssen).
Retired STRS members are not eligible for this position.
Under direct supervision, clean, sanitize and maintain an assigned area or building including classrooms, restrooms, offices and related facilities; perform minor maintenance and repair to furniture, fixtures and facilities; assist with event setup and cleanup; and perform related duties as assigned.
A Custodian is distinguished from a Custodial Maintenance Worker in that an incumbent in the latter class performs semi-skilled duties including a variety of semi-skilled to skilled general building maintenance work related to electrical, plumbing, locksmithing, carpentry and painting.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
1. Sweep, scrub, mop and wax floors; vacuum and shampoo rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices, workshops and other work areas; wash windows, chalkboards and walls; strip, wax and buff floors including those in the gym and dance studios.
2. Dust, polish and disinfect counters, student desks, teacher stations, file cabinets and book-cases.
3. Empty and clean waste receptacles and pencil sharpeners; pick up paper; pick up trash containers and empty into large bins.
4. Clean and sanitize restrooms, showers and water fountains; restock restrooms; polish metal fixtures.
5. Perform minor non-technical repairs to buildings and fixtures; replace fluorescent light tubes and bulbs; clean and adjust shades and blinds; adjust clocks, desks and other furniture; report other repair and maintenance needs and assist others in making repairs as required.
6. Assist in the preparation of classrooms, rooms and facilities for special events and meetings; set up stage for concerts, lectures and other events; move and arrange furniture and equipment.
7. Make emergency clean-ups in classrooms including cleaning contagious spills and bodily fluids.
8. Clean, sweep and maintain safety of parking lots, sidewalks and table areas; clean litter from surrounding grounds.
9. Gather and disposes of rubbish, paper, leaves and debris; empty garbage cans and other refuse containers.
10. Follow label instructions to mix and dilute cleansers, disinfectants and cleaning agents to ensure proper strength for use.
11. Operate and maintain cleaning tools and equipment.
12. Make oral and written reports for work performed; complete and submit work orders and timesheets; attend meetings; participate in safety training.
1. Open/unlock buildings and turn off alarms; close and lock doors and windows.
2. Report vandalism and remove and the need for maintenance and repairs; may input work requests.
3. Assist with minor plumbing work such as unclogging toilets and sinks.
4. Assist with inventory including monitoring and reporting need to reorder cleaning supplies and tools as needed.
5. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Proper cleaning methods.
2. The operation and maintenance of a variety of hand and power janitorial tools and equipment.
3. Proper mixing and diluting of cleansers, disinfectants and cleaning agents.
4. Basic English.
5. Basic computer operations.
6. Safety policies and safe work practices applicable to the work.
1. Complete custodial assignments independently without immediate supervision.
2. Operate and maintain tools/equipment used in custodial work.
3. Observe and report need for maintenance and repair.
4. Perform minor maintenance repairs as assigned.
5. Prepare and maintain basic records accurately.
6. Operate a computer related to area of assignment.
7. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
8. Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
9. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
Education & Experience:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and one year of work experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licenses & Other Requirements:
A valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under the district’s vehicle insurance program.
The physical efforts described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Heavy physical labor with constant standing and walking for extended periods; walking over rough or uneven surfaces; frequent pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying of heavy objects weighing up to 75 pounds; frequent bending, stooping and kneeling; repetitive use of upper extremities on a regular basis; manual dexterity to safely operate motorized equipment and vehicles; ability to operate an electric cart to pick up/deliver supplies to campus locations; ability to travel to various locations on and off campus as needed to conduct district business.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships involving interactions and communications personally, by phone and in writing with a variety of individuals and/or groups from diverse backgrounds on a regular, ongoing basis; ability to effectively work alone or as a crew member; ability to work effectively under pressure on a variety of tasks concurrently while meeting established deadlines and changing priorities.
Work can be either in an indoor environment or outside (with exposure to inclement weather during work and/or during travel to and from assigned work areas); work while wearing personal protection equipment; exposure to fumes from commercial cleaning products and noise from vacuums and other cleaning equipment; occasional exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals and biological hazards; frequently exposed to loud or prolonged noise from equipment; may be required to work at any district location during day and/or evening hours including weekends and/or holidays on an as-needed basis.
Posting Number: S22/23010P
Human Resources Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or [Register to View]
Job Close Date: 6/30/2023
Open Until Filled: No
First Screening Date:
About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California's 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at https://www.miracosta.edu/office-of-the-president/board-of-trustees/_docs/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion.pdf
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency