Ball State University’s Honors College invites applications for a half-time, academic year, renewable faculty position preferably from the areas of the natural, physical, or social sciences, available August 18, 2023
At Ball State University, Inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
- Teach 6 credit hours of Honors College courses each academic term. Teaching assignments will include interdisciplinary explorations in the natural/physical sciences, or in the social sciences/humanities with emphasis on contemporary societal issues. Faculty will also teach courses with in-depth inter-or-multidisciplinary topics as colloquia.
- Work collaboratively with current faculty to develop innovative pedagogy in the Honors College.
- Mentor undergraduate Honors students on thesis topics or fellowship projects.
- Contribute to the intellectual and professional life of the Honors College, Ball State University, and the surrounding community.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean.
- Terminal degree in the natural, physical, or social sciences; humanities; the fine arts; or closely related areas from an accredited college or university by the time of employment.
- Evidence of potential for excellence in pedagogical innovation, interdisciplinary interactions, and mentoring undergraduates.
- Evidence of potential to support the College’s goal to be a leader in inclusive excellence, both on campus and nationally.
Candidates for searches must have current authorization to be employed in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
- Terminal degree in the natural, physical, or social sciences; or closely related areas from an accredited college or university.
- Experience teaching small, discussion-based seminars.
- Experience teaching across disciplines, crafting service-learning or community engagement collaborations, and mentoring students.
- Experience fostering a culture and climate of inclusive excellence.
Apply online at: https://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/34107.
In the Applicant Documents section of this application, the following documents are required:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- A statement of teaching philosophy
- An inclusive excellence statement describing how you would contribute to the development of a diverse and inclusive learning community at Ball State University through your teaching, research, and/or service. Please include examples of your contributions when possible. Word limit 500.
The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earned is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will be accepted through November 12, 2022.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, on an attractive campus 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students enroll in one of eight academic colleges that offer 120 undergraduate programs. We offer more than 140 master’s, doctoral, certificate, and specialist degrees, with many of them ranking among the best in the nation. Ball State aspires to be the model of the most student-centered and community-engaged of the 21st century public research universities, transforming entrepreneurial learners into impactful leaders – committed to improving the quality of life for all.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit: https://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/HumanResources/Jobs/Benefits-and-Community/Faculty
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.