Entrepreneurship Center Director and Assistant Lecturer/Assistant Teaching Professor of Management
Ball State University
The Miller College of Business has an Entrepreneurship Center Director and Assistant Lecturer or Assistant Teaching Professor of Management available January 2023. This is a full-time, non-tenure track faculty position that comes with significant leadership responsibilities. Specifically, the Entrepreneurship Center Director teaches 6 three-credit courses annually plus develops and manages center programs. In essence, the administrative duties generally fall into three key categories: 1) Center Leadership and Management; 2) Student Engagement, Mentoring, and Programming; and 3) External Outreach and Relationship-building. The position reports to the Chairperson of the Management Department.
At Ball State University, inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
Position Description: Provide visionary leadership for the Entrepreneurship Center, including:
- Strategic planning, development, and initiatives that support growth and continuous improvement;
- Developing and directing programs and events related to entrepreneurship to maintain a rich semester-long calendar of learning opportunities; e.g., mentoring program, external business plan competitions, entrepreneur engagement, site visits, etc;
- Mentoring and managing center staff, e.g., program coordinator and student assistant;
- Bolstering national awareness of the Center; e.g., Princeton Review, U.S. News, USASBE, GCEC;
- Collaborating on entrepreneurship academic and curriculum initiatives.
- Ensuring broad engagement in program review, improvement initiatives, assessment and accreditation.
Teach entrepreneurship and/or management courses (6 three-credit courses annually). Maintain AACSB accreditation qualification standards according to college guidelines.
Serve as the primary liaison for building and/or maintaining internal and external stakeholder partnerships including an active advisory board, entrepreneurs and business constituents and alumni, faculty and staff.
Manage the Center for Entrepreneurship’s budget and assist university foundation and development office in seeking and securing resources necessary to fulfill the Center’s mission.
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s Degree in Business or related field from an accredited institution. Minimum of 5 years of experience in entrepreneurial venture, corporate entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial design, business development, business planning, venture development, venture investment, entrepreneurship education, or family business.
Candidates for searches must have current authorization to be employed in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
- Evidence of successfully developing and managing programs with multiple stakeholders.
- Leadership qualities and interpersonal skills necessary to lead an engaged advisory board of entrepreneurs and business professionals.
- Excellent communication, organizational, project management, multi-tasking and leadership skills.
- Prior successful teaching experience in higher education.
- Prior leadership experience in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience in entrepreneurship center program development and administration.
- Business ownership experience.
- Experience in creating a welcoming and inclusive environment with diverse populations.
- Experience in fundraising and outreach.
- Ability to provide hands-on support and strategic guidance to early-stage ventures, and understanding of the new venture creation process from ideation and validation to launch and fundraising.
- Experience mentoring young adults.
- A demonstrable network of entrepreneurs or business contacts within the regional entrepreneurship ecosystem.
Apply online at: https://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/33994. Include the following documents with your application: curriculum vitae and cover letter addressed to Dr. Whitaker. In the Applicant Documents section of this application, please provide an inclusive excellence statement describing how you would contribute to the development of a diverse and inclusive learning community at Ball State University through your teaching, research, and/or service. Please include examples of your contributions when possible. Word limit 500.
The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earned is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted.
Review of applications will begin immediately and to ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 10/21/2022.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, on an attractive campus 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students enroll in one of eight academic colleges that offer 120 undergraduate programs. We offer more than 140 master’s, doctoral, certificate, and specialist degrees, with many of them ranking among the best in the nation. Ball State aspires to be the model of the most student-centered and community-engaged of the 21st century public research universities, transforming entrepreneurial learners into impactful leaders – committed to improving the quality of life for all.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit: https://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/HumanResources/Jobs/Benefits-and-Community/Faculty
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.