- Advise current College of Education graduate and advanced credential students.
- Update and maintain online advising tools to support students toward program completion.
- Support program faculty and department chairs with navigating university policies and procedures to support graduate/advanced credential student progress to degree; problem-solve as needed.
- Develop, implement, and assess student programming that fosters student success through the Graduate Culture Initiative, including New Student Welcome, Graduate Research Colloquium, and peer mentors. Implement and assess special projects to support student success.
- Advise prospective students by phone, in person and in writing on requirements for the master's degrees and advanced credentials served by the office.
- Assist with outreach and recruitment efforts to attract a diverse applicant pool, including updating or developing materials and programming. Support the entire application process including application processing, interview days and admission notifications.
Experience successfully working with populations that are demographically and socioeconomically similar to the CSULB student population highly desirable. Experience using data to support student success preferred. Ability to multi-task. Ability to learn, interpret, clearly explain and apply a variety of complex policies and procedures. Ability to interact in a professional, cordial, and supportive manner with many visitors and callers. Ability to be a team player and work collaboratively. Ability to prioritize workload and work independently on projects with minimal supervision. Knowledge of University, College and departmental policies about admission, graduation, scholarships, catalog content for student and faculty information provision and advising highly desirable.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to a bachelor's degree in education, one of the social or behavioral sciences, public or business administration, or a job-related field, and two years of directly related experience.
- Master's degree in education, counseling, student affairs, or related field preferred.
- Experience in student advising and student programming preferred.
Office of Graduate Studies, College of Education
Student Services Professional II
The salary range for this classification is $4,304 to $6,120 per month.
Excellent benefits through CalPERS (health, vision, dental), tuition fee waiver, generous vacation and sick leave, and 14 paid holidays each year.
Full-time temporary position for two years with no permanent status granted. Temporary assignments may expire prior to the ending date.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Due to the nature of this position, current CSULB employees are subject to a criminal record check unless they have successfully completed a criminal background check through CSULB within the past 12 months.
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
To view the University's Annual Campus Crime Report go to: http://daf.csulb.edu/offices/ppfm/police/statistics/index.html. Copies of the report are available upon request. To request a copy, contact the University Police Department at [Register to View] .
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to COVID19-Staff-Info@csulb.edu.
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Application Closes: Sep 19, 2022 (11:55 PM)
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/518898/student-support-specialist
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-2d6fac2fa2ef1642a1bc626a618c1283