The Department of Special Education has a one-year full-time contract faculty position available August 2022.
The faculty member assigned to this position will assist in teaching and related programming activities in Special Education: Deaf and Hard of Hearing; supervising practicum students and student teaching; advising students; providing program oversight and coordination; and conducting research.
At Ball State University, Inclusiveness and freedom of expression are a part of our enduring values and inform all of our efforts. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our Inclusive Excellence Plan to learn more about our commitment and to identify how you might contribute to these efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities: The faculty member shall have responsibility for teaching introductory and methods courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the area of Deaf Education. Also, the individual will assume other related duties as assigned including:
- Practicum and student teaching supervisions.
- Program oversight and coordination.
- Local, state, and national presentations.
- Scholarly writing in refereed journals.
- Participation in departmental, college, and/or university committees.
- Other duties typically expected of a faculty member.
- Earned master’s degree in special education from an accredited institution. At least two years of experience in schools working directly with students with disabilities.
- Minimum of three years of public school teaching experience with students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL).
- Record of or potential for scholarly activities commensurate with rank.
Candidates for searches must have current authorization to be employed in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
- Earned doctorate with emphasis in special education
- Additional years of teaching experience in public and/or private schools serving students who are Deaf
- Experience with on-line or blended teaching
- Evidence of scholarly productivity including published articles, books, professional presentations, and related activities commensurate with rank
- Experience using innovative emerging media technologies in special education
- Experience teaching ASL
Apply online at: https://bsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/31696. Include the following documents with your application: resume and cover letter addressed to Scott Dueker. In the Applicant Documents section of this application, please provide an inclusive excellence statement describing how you would contribute to the development of a diverse and inclusive learning community at Ball State University through your teaching, research, and/or service. Please include examples of your contributions when possible. Word limit 500.
The option to upload transcripts is available. Original, official transcripts showing the highest related degree earned is required at the time of hire (even if obtained at BSU). Degree verification will be conducted.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will be accepted through July 11, 2022.
Ball State University is located in Muncie, Indiana, on an attractive campus 45 miles northeast of Indianapolis. Approximately 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students enroll in one of eight academic colleges that offer 120 undergraduate programs. We offer more than 140 master’s, doctoral, certificate, and specialist degrees, with many of them ranking among the best in the nation. Ball State aspires to be the model of the most student-centered and community-engaged of the 21st century public research universities, transforming entrepreneurial learners into impactful leaders – committed to improving the quality of life for all.
The Ball State way is rooted in the Beneficence Pledge – a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship, honesty and integrity, social responsibility, gratitude and valuing the intrinsic worth of each member of our community. Ball State students, faculty and staff are empowered in a culture that believes in them and demands they believe in themselves. They are partners in an innovative, immersive approach to education. They are supported by living and learning facilities that enable intellectual curiosity. We graduate scholars who are changing the world, and we’ve dedicated our University to do the same.
The university offers an excellent wellness program and extensive benefits offerings to include a generous paid time off package and paid parental leave. For further information regarding benefits please visit: https://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/HumanResources/Jobs/Benefits-and-Community/Faculty
Ball State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.