This job is archived
POSITION AVAILABLE: August 10, 2022
JOB SUMMARY: Serve as Department Chair of Mathematics and teach mathematics courses. Department chairs are responsible for tasks supporting shared governance, from shaping the department mission and building consensus around department goals to conducting department meetings and implementing long-range department programs, plans, goals, and policies. Chairs represent the central administration to department members while they articulate the needs of the department members to the administration. Students are another important internal constituency that falls within the scope of the department chair’s responsibilities. Chairs are help with the responsibility for the department’s efforts to recruit and retain students.
JOB DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach 27-30 credit hours (Fall and Spring)
- Provide leadership and articulate the goals of the unit and the unit's actions or requests in pursuit of these aims and maintain a climate that promotes creativity and innovation and exemplary professional impact.
- Coordinate execution of the unit's educational programs with the faculty, and schedule courses and assign instructors to these courses in consultation with program directors, the faculty, and the dean's office.
- Monitor course registrations and make appropriate adjustments in course schedules and instructor assignments in cooperation with other departments/areas/programs and the dean's office.
- Consult with the dean about the unit's educational programs and the scheduling of departmental/area courses and instructor assignments.
- Advise students and ensure department level availability throughout the year.
- Maintain course enrollment in student recruitment and retention activities.
- Maintain weekly correspondence with student enrollment throughout the academic year.
- Consult with the dean about student admissions to the department/program.
- Demonstrate skill in managing conflict, effectiveness in designing strategies for student recruitment and retention.
- Present an annual budget for the maintenance and growth of the department/area in support of the scholarship and teaching mission.
- Plan and administer the unit's budget in consultation with the dean’s office, and present faculty and staff recruitment requests.
- Review the unit’s educational program for relevance and new opportunities.
- Coordinate the unit’s service assignments in consultation with the faculty.
- Set and communicate expectations for the scholarly and creative activity of faculty.
- Contribute to and function within the College and OPSU, while promoting the University in the surrounding communities.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous manner.
- Must have a strong work ethic and lead by example.
- Must be a professional, credible and respected representative of the institution internally and in the community
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to act ethically and socially responsible
- Must be able to lift more than 25-lb. objects; frequent bending, stooping, and walking.
- Other duties as assigned by Dean of College or other relevant members of the University leadership.
The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduate degree needs to have at least 18 graduate hours in mathematics or closely related field.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Master’s degree required. Professional experience and teaching experience will be considered.
TO APPLY, COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION,
OPSU is an AA/EE/E-Verify employer committed to diversity.