JOB SUMMARY: The Hispanic Student Center Advisor will report directly to the Director of Hispanic Student Center. The Advisor will work daily with Hispanic students to ensure they have the tools, resources, and skills necessary for academic success. The Advisor will communicate with students daily to identify and follow up on any issues that may arise. The Advisor will become a community liaison who shares Hispanic Student Center resources and successes. The Advisor will partner with Hispanic Student Center Staff to ensure that all resources are available to Hispanic students.
JOB DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Center Director with the selection, hiring, and evaluation of all Center staff.
- Ensure Center is consistently available according to designated operating hours.
- Responsible for the overall cleanliness and organization of the Center.
- Network/coordinate with the appropriate, assigned University faculty/staff to develop a program of study for individual Hispanic students based on identified needs and major.
- Track student’s academic progress and goal achievement on an ongoing basis to resolve any concerns that may arise.
- Foster an overall environment of encouragement, support, and inclusivity.
- Network and coordinate with appropriate University departments to provide training, workshops, and necessary services to retain and promote Hispanic student success.
- Assist Center Director with community engagement events and foster relationships throughout the local areas.
- Network with local area and regional high school/community college counselors to promote our services and community support for Hispanic students at OPSU.
- Occasional travel is required.
- Must have a strong work ethic and lead by example.
- Must be a professional, credible and respected representative of the institution internally and in the community
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to act ethically and socially responsible
- Must be able to lift more than 20-lb. objects; frequent bending, stooping, and walking.
- Can be exposed to a variety of weather conditions for periods of time.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous manner
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Hispanic Student Center or designee.
The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Familiarity with Windows and Mac OS computer systems.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office 365 software, Outlook, word processing, database, and presentation software.
- Strong interpersonal and soft skills.
- Availability requirements are condition of employment.
- Ability to speak/read Spanish is preferred.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree; preferably in Math, English or Science related field.
COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION AT