JOB SUMMARY: The AVP & Director of Athletics will play a pivotal role in accelerating the upward trajectory of New Jersey City University by developing and leading a robust, progressive, successful, and exemplary NCAA Division III Athletics Program along with a comprehensive and fulfilling Intramural Program, a membership-based, revenue-generating Recreation Program, and a nationally recognized student development initiative – the Rising Knight Institute.
In partnership with the Vice President & Chief Strategy Officer, the AVP & Director of Athletics will craft, promote, and articulate the vision for NJCU Athletics, which shall, above all else, focus on a commitment to the comprehensive development and well-being of the NJCU student-athlete.
The successful candidate will own and exude a deep-seeded passion and commitment for utilizing participation in Intercollegiate Athletics as a platform for aiding and advancing the personal development of NJCU student-athletes, individually and collectively.
She/he will be a champion of collaboration across campus, understanding the mutually beneficial impact of partnering with other internal units to amplify broader, University-wide strategic initiatives, including those related to recruitment and retention, student-life and the campus experience, among others.
As a lead external figure for the athletics department and the University, he/she will work collaboratively with senior members of the VP & Chief Strategy Officer’s staff to build strong relationships across multiple platforms, including faculty, staff, alumni, donors, and the broader community; grow brand awareness and brand strength; develop and enhance fundraising initiatives; and promote health and wellness benefits to the broader campus community.
The AVP & Director of Athletics shall explore and appreciate the traditions and legacies of NJCU athletics and, more broadly, the University, as she/he leads a bold and aggressive plan to shape the department’s future. This shall include but will not be limited to the renovation and expansion of indoor/outdoor facilities; sports programming, including e-sports; and the fostering of new internal and external partnerships. The AVP & Director of Athletics will be supported in developing unique and creative initiatives.
The AVP & Director of Athletics will be adept at forging strong, positive relationships with the coaches and administrative staff members, which shall include devising and implementing a professional development program to spur growth opportunities and to aid succession planning.
The Director will recruit, hire, and retain talented coaches and other staff who share a passion and commitment for using the positive features of Intercollegiate Athletic participation as a means of aiding in the personal development of the student-athlete. The AVP & Director of Athletics will ensure compliance with all NCAA, NJAC, and NJCU policies and legislation and work tirelessly to advocate for the student-athlete.
She/he will maintain NJCU’s deeply held commitment to diversity, inclusion and gender-equity in hiring, as well as oversee and support the department’s efforts to recruit a diverse group of student-athletes with the ability to succeed as students, athletes and civically-engaged community members.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, the AVP & Director of Athletics is responsible for the following: Lead the NJCU Athletic Department in an exemplary manner, consistent with the University’s mission, vision, values, and strategic plan. Create and maintain an environment conducive to the comprehensive personal development and success of the NJCU student-athlete in the classroom, in training/competition, and in the community.
Identify, attract, and retain highly motivated and talented coaches and staff committed to using Intercollegiate Athletics as a platform for aiding and advancing the personal development of the student-athlete.
Be a visible leader on campus and in the community; represent the University and NJCU Athletics to external constituents (prospective students, parents, alumni, and the general public) and key internal stakeholders, namely NJCU faculty, in a manner that demonstrates personal and professional integrity and promotes the interests of NJCU Athletics and the University.
Work collaboratively and effectively with the Faculty Athletics Representative (FAR).
Efficiently and responsibly administer and manage operating budgets for the Department, performing cost and productivity analyses, implementing more efficient practices, and ensuring that resources are maximized.
Lead, organize, and supervise the Department of Athletics, Intramurals and Recreation staff, including those involved in athletic training, sports information, equipment management and office support; oversee the efficient and productive operation of all student support, administrative and business functions of the department; train and mentor staff, document performance evaluations, develop performance improvement plans and, when necessary, take appropriate disciplinary action.
Ensure departmental planning and administrative decisions demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and gender equity.
Ensure Intramural, Recreation, Health & Wellness programming meets the needs of student athletes, the general student body, faculty, staff, and the broader community.
In collaboration with the Associate Vice President for Development/Executive Director of the NJCU Foundation, plan and successfully achieve strategies for enhancing revenue generation, including fundraising, to supplement and expand support for student athletes.
Serve as the departmental liaison to the offices of admissions; monitor the recruitment, retention, and graduation rates of student-athletes across the sports sponsored by NJCU Athletics; and provide leadership and guidance to coaches to recruit student-athletes who can sustain high academic achievement.
Oversee all athletic facilities/venues and equipment to ensure safety, optimal playing conditions and appropriate representation of the College.
Participate in planning, communication and collaboration with the Vice President & Chief Strategy Officer and the Division’s senior leadership team to ensure the goals of NJCU Athletics align with the University’s mission and objectives.
Ensure compliance with all NCAA and NJAC rules and regulations, as well as all pertinent federal, state, and local laws. Maintain the highest ethical standards.
Perform other essential duties and tasks specific to the position and detailed by the Vice President & Chief Strategy Officer.
EXPERIENCE: Five years of experience directly related to duties and responsibilities and/or ten years of experience leading and managing a large, complex, and diverse organization/unit; Master’s or advanced degree preferred
- The AVP & Director of Athletics must have strong interpersonal skills and a proven track record of effective change management. The following are the minimum qualifications:
- Direct senior level (Associate Athletic Director level or higher), managerial, experience in college athletics, with a preference for experience at Division III institutions and/or an exemplary combination of professional success and athletic achievement as a student-athlete and/or coach.
- A demonstrable commitment to using athletics as a platform for the individual and collective personal development of student-athletes.
- A track record of conceiving and executing initiatives, which positively impact the student-athlete experience.
- A strong understanding of public institutions, as well as an understanding of the NJCU community and its student-athletes.
- Ability to work with Enrollment Management to successfully recruit student-athletes that will thrive at NJCU.
- Experience working collaboratively with development personnel to develop integrated, successful fundraising campaigns.
- Aptitude and experience for personally developing, stewarding, and soliciting support in the form of donations, sponsorships, and partnerships.
- Experience in establishing and managing a successful athletic program or equivalent diverse and complex mission-driven organization/unit.
- Proven commitment to diversity and inclusion, with an ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituents.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding and experience with managing change in an organization.
- Well-organized, committed leader with a strong acumen for financial and business analysis, planning skills and the ability to build strong relationships both internally and externally.
- The expectation of success and experience helping others succeed across diverse programs.
- A solid understanding of the role and importance of coaches, both on and off the field.
- A demonstrated record of working toward integrated external relations.
- Experience collaborating with alumni relations, partner organizations and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion, gender equity and equal opportunity.
- A thorough understanding of NCAA Division III policies, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of and experience with Title IX.
As a condition of employment, you are required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination prior to their start date. Candidates wishing to request a medical or religious exemption must advise Human Resources at the time of job offer.
New Jersey City University is a Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus. For the health of our employees, students and visitors, smoking, vaping and tobacco use is not permitted on campus. This includes all buildings, grounds and parking lots.