POSITION: ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT, MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
LOCATION: UNIVERSITY ADVANCEMENT
JOB SUMMARY: The Associate Vice President of Communications leads the all-important task of telling the remarkable stories of NJCU, its students, faculty, and programs. Reporting to the Vice President for Advancement & Chief Strategy Officer, the AVP will have an extraordinary opportunity to help shape and lead the strategic communications for one of the most innovative and inclusive higher education institutions in the region and play an integral role in the tremendous growth already underway. The AVP coordinates and facilitates the University’ s mission in the areas of branding, marketing, advertising, communications, and virtually all internal and external communications targeting a wide variety of constituents to increase enrollment and enhance and build NJCU’s reputation. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative, strategic thinker, a skilled project manager, and a self-starter with a passion for NJCU’s mission.
- Works as part of an integrated senior management team to establish overall goals and strategies for the Division of University Advancement.
- Exemplary writing, editing and presentation skills and ability to tell compelling stories in a variety of formats.
- A record of developing, leading, producing and evaluating communications strategies and content, including digital, social, broadcast, print and other forms of media.
- Superior management and organizational skills with extreme attention to detail and follow up. Ability to effectively work, build consensus, and lead multifaceted projects and activities in a highly complex, fast-paced environment.
- Executive leadership ability and management experience with many types of content producers that includes supervision of personnel and budgets.
- Skilled in managing relationships with brand and marketing partners, including the agency of record and other partners.
- Collaborates on building a best-in-class marketing and communications operation. Stays up-to-date on industry trends. Mentors team and provides University-wide education on marketing and communications best practices.
- Plays a lead role in unifying and managing the NJCU brand across all media channels and platforms so it is conveyed in a consistent and creative manner. Demonstrates a deep understanding and experience about brand expression and experience and knows how to bring a brand to life through strategic marketing campaigns.
- Knowledge of and proven experience with marketing technologies including (but not limited to) CRM and Marketing Automation technology.
- Intense curiosity about issues and ideas, entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor, appreciation for the importance of research universities, and passion for advancing NJCU’ s commitment to excellence in education, research, diversity and service to society.
- Takes the initiative to assess, recommend and implement plans, modifications and/ or enhancements for the continuous improvements of unit processes and responsibilities.
- Progressively responsible experience in a large institutional setting. Understanding of issues and opportunities within higher education is required.
- Superior interpersonal skills with proven ability to successfully interact and collaborate with varied constituencies in a professional manner, including University leadership.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and demonstrated tact and diplomacy in working with a wide variety of personalities. High degree of professionalism, ethical sensitivity and discretion; ability to maintain a commitment to confidentiality; good judgment and proven responsible decision-making skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills with ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate and advance strategic plans. Ability to lead groups and projects as well as function as part of a collaborative team.
- Ability to follow project management best practices to prioritize and meet challenging and changing deadlines. Ability to travel and work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ability to act independently and make decisions as required in the absence of the Vice President.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure to manage stressful situations in a solution-oriented way with a positive attitude.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of (10) years’ experience in branding, marketing, advertising, and/or institutional (higher education, nonprofit, corporate, political, government, fundraising environment, or similar experience) communications, and project management, showing progressive leadership over time.
SUPERVISION OF PERSONNEL: Supervises a team including the Senior Director of University Communications. Director of Creative Services, Assistant Director of Television and Multimedia Production, Director of Website Content, and any of their direct reports, an administrative assistant, and student workers. Ability to celebrate employee strengths, coach weaknesses, support growth, and provide professional development plans for staff improvement when needed.
REQUIRED: Letter of application, Curriculum Vitae, and contact information for three professional references.
For specific application requirements: http://www.njcu.edu/hr/employment/
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.
As a condition of employment, new employees are required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination prior to their start date. Candidates wishing to request a medical or religious exemption must advise Human Resources at the time of job offer.
New Jersey City University is a Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus. For the health of our employees, students and visitors, smoking, vaping and tobacco use is not permitted on campus. This includes all buildings, grounds and parking lots.