POSITION: SENIOR DIRECTOR, UNIVERSITY COMMUNICATIONS & MEDIA RELATIONS
LOCATION: UNIVERSITY ADVANCEMENT
JOB SUMMARY: New Jersey City University seeks a creative, collaborative and entrepreneurial professional to serve as its Senior Director, University Communications and Media Relations. The ideal candidate is a strategic thought partner for the senior leadership team, ready to tackle an ambitious set of agendas as NJCU raises its visibility as a game changer for our students, our city, our communities and our state.
Reporting to and collaborating with the Associate Vice President of Marketing and Communications the Senior Director, University Communications and Media Relations is responsible for building and sustaining NJCU’s reputation through public relations, media relations, internal communications, social media and other communication tactics.
The Senior Director, University Communications and Media Relations crafts compelling narratives about NJCU; advises the president and university leadership on the optimal ways to communicate with internal and external audiences and is responsible for the university President’s communications, including talking points, speeches, and videos for internal and external audiences; oversees university, college, and unit responses to crises and emergency communication; and is a university spokesperson. He or she will be a creative, out-of-the-box thinker and exceptional storyteller whose communications will compel internal and external audiences to take notice of and pride in NJCU’s accomplishments, initiatives, and events.
The successful candidate has demonstrated talent as a writer and editor. He or she has a deep understanding of local and national media channels as well as earned/organic and sponsored communication placement strategies. He or she must also possess a commitment to diverse perspectives, ideas and people; have a collaborative work style and the ability lead through influence while establishing trust and rapport among colleagues; maintain confidence relative to sensitive or breaking news and/or information; have the flexibility to pivot between big picture and granular details; and be able to juggle multiple responsibilities with shifting goals and deadlines.
- Ensures that all institutional communications effectively reflect and advance the culture, values and beliefs of the university and follow brand guidelines.
- Develops a proactive public relations strategy and plan using all available communication tools and channels.
- Develops and nurtures strong press and community relations. Responds to media inquiries and serves as spokesperson for the University.
- Develop and manage a media guide to faculty experts to position NJCU faculty as subject experts for current news stories.
- Works closely with the University President to write presidential speeches and remarks.
- Advises senior leaders of the University on effective communication strategies.
- Creates and maintains strong relationships with all University stakeholder groups, including students, trustees, alumni and faculty.
- In coordination with senior staff, serves as a leader of all crisis communications efforts.
- Ability to work as an effective team player and collaborator.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, sustainable relationships across diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Exceptional communications skills in both oral and written communications and presentations
- Strong knowledge and experience with traditional and emerging media communications tools and technologies.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Ten or more years of proven experience in doing and managing complex public and media relations communications projects
REQUIRED: Letter of application, Curriculum Vitae, and contact information for three professional references.
For specific application requirements: http://www.njcu.edu/hr/employment/
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.
As a condition of employment, new employees are required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination prior to their start date. Candidates wishing to request a medical or religious exemption must advise Human Resources at the time of job offer.
New Jersey City University is a Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus. For the health of our employees, students and visitors, smoking, vaping and tobacco use is not permitted on campus. This includes all buildings, grounds and parking lots.