This job is archived
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Vice President for Student Affairs, the director leads the design and development of an events operation that will develop a systematic, centralized means for managing the use of university venues for internal and external stakeholders. Develops and maintains policies, procedures, pricing models, and systems designed to streamline and guide the scheduling and use off university venues. This position serves as the University lead for all venue rental and use requests/interest. Playing a key role in operationalizing the strategies for major fundraising events. Maximizing revenue from conferences and events and increases the positive visibility of the University.
- Optimizing the venue rental business to drive revenue, enhance the profile of the university and foster community relations;
- Creating a sales marketing and communications plan;
- Serving as the lead sales and customer service representative to external constituents;
- Developing and stewarding key internal relationships to maximize operational efficiencies; and
- Managing an annual budget.
- Working with the VPSA, oversee day to day operations for NJCU Commencement Exercises
- Assist with implementation of other annual special events as assigned
- Develops standards of operation, policies and procedures, and business practices for all University events – internal and external -- that are consistent with current industry trends and the mission of the University.
- Advises the administration on the appropriateness of clients and topics to the university community/NJCU brand.
- In conjunction with the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Chief Strategy Officer and the senior members of the Advancement team, designs a strategy to develop new conferences and programs that meet the diverse needs of the university community and support of the University’s goals and objectives.
- Develops, implements, and maintains a marketing program to grow venue rental clientele.
- Corresponds directly with clients across all communications platforms, including facility tours, proactive sales calls, and through social and digital channels.
- Maintain an event and conference services web site within the University’s official web site.
- Identifies and implements a software system to manage university events and space usage.
- Advises college administration of renovations, capital equipment purchases, etc. that will increase venue marketability and grow rental revenue.
- Manages and organizes conferences and events, university wide, including all event logistics (i.e. room arrangements, housekeeping, catering, etc.).
- Manages all rental and licensing agreements including the development of cost estimates.
- Coordinates presentation materials with the IT Department and informs them of clients AV needs.
- Manages an internal communications plan relays relevant information about events to the appropriate NJCU departments in a timely and succinct fashion.
- Manages one professional staff member.
- Proactively seeks to cultivate relationships with key internal constituencies (i.e. facilities and operations, dining services, public safety, student life, etc.). Under the direction of the Chief Development Officer/Executive Director of the NJCU Foundation, manage and coordinate the university’s major fundraising events (annual gala, golf outings, scholarship recognition event).
- Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, manage and coordinate groundbreaking, ribbon cutting, and other special ceremonies, as needed.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of budgeting and accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge in scheduling and contract administration.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of technical requirements for various events.
- Strong marketing, sales, customer relations, and public relations skills.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset.
- Ability to think and operate in a cross-collaborative fashion.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of Six (6) years of experience leading conferences and events, or an equivalent of relevant experience. Experience with budgets, cost estimates and invoicing. Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills; strong attention to detail; team-oriented work style; experience managing a complex schedule; and strong writing and computer skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Word).
To apply for this position, refer to NJCU website at: https://phe.tbe.taleo.net/phe03/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=NJCU&cws=44&rid=1453
We offer a competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.
As a condition of employment, new employees are required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination prior to their start date. Candidates wishing to request a medical or religious exemption must advise Human Resources at the time of job offer.
New Jersey City University is a Tobacco and Smoke Free Campus. For the health of our employees, students and visitors, smoking, vaping and tobacco use is not permitted on campus. This includes all buildings, grounds and parking lots.