Full-Time Lecturer, Multilingual Literacy and Learners in Elementary Education
$5 – $12 • monthly
California State University, Long Beach
Full-Time Lecturer, Multilingual Literacy and Learners in Elementary Education
Job No: 528195
Work Type: Instructional Faculty - Temporary/Lecturer
Location: Long Beach
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Temporary, Full Time, Faculty - Education/Library Science
Position: Full-Time Lecturer, Multilingual Literacy and Learners in Elementary Education
Effective Date: August 17, 2023 (Fall Semester)
Salary Range: $5,405 -$11,994/per month (Commensurate with qualifications and experience)
Application Deadline: Review of applications to begin on or about June 20, 2023. Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)
College of Education
Department of Teacher Education
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Education or related field with an emphasis on bilingual education, dual language development, Teaching as a Second Language (TESOL) or related field. Degree at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2023.
- An earned U.S. public school teaching credential
- Experience teaching in U.S. K-12 schools
- Demonstrated potential for effectiveness and excellence in teaching at the college level
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following areas: bilingual/multilingual education, second language acquisition, cultural and linguistic diversity in schools, or related field(s)
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population
- Demonstrated experience teaching effectiveness and excellence at the college level in teacher education, with an emphasis on credential courses in cultural and linguistic diversity and/or graduate courses in dual language development, bi-/multilingual education
- Bilingual/ Multilingual
- Experience teaching in diverse urban schools at the elementary level that serve populations demographically and socioeconomically similar to the Southern California area
- Experience teaching at the K-3 level
- Experience development of curriculum at the K-3 level
- At least three years teaching in Sheltered/Structured English Immersion, Teaching English as a Second Language, English Language Development or (Dual/ Language) Immersion settings
- Demonstrated ability in effective use of a wide range of instructional technologies pertaining to teacher education, including online teaching
- Demonstrated experience working with populations demographically and socioeconomically similar to the CSULB student body
- Demonstrated interest in or experience with Minority Serving Institutions
- Teach a range of courses [Mode of instruction may include in-person, hybrid, online, and/or any combination thereof] related to language diversity and development such as: such as EDEL 300, 431, 442, 452, 452B, 453S, 453M, EDEL 482B, EDCI 532, 541, EDRG 551B. Teacher Education courses description.
- Contribute to the Dual Language Development master's program, Bilingual Authorization Program and/or the Multiple Subject Credential Program in the area of teaching in culturally and linguistically diverse classrooms and multilingual/ (dual) immersion settings.
- Contribute to college-wide and/or community-based efforts to address equity and opportunity gaps
- Supervise student teachers during practicum placements
- Participate in service and faculty governance through program, department, college and university meetings and committees
- Maintain a campus in-office work schedule aligned with department workload (following CSULB repopulation guidelines)
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University's strong commitment to the academic success of all of our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions. CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
The Department of Teacher Education (TED) is composed of the Multiple Subject Credential Program, Single Subject Credential Program, Certificate Program in Reading and Literacy Added Authorization, Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Master of Education in Dual Language Development, and Master of Education in Early Childhood Education. The faculty and staff strive to prepare knowledgeable, caring, reflective, and highly competent teachers who are advocates for children, adolescents, and families. Our inquiry- and experience-based programs promote educational equity and excellence in contemporary, inclusive urban classrooms.
The College of Education at CSULB is amongst the premier educator preparation institutions in the state, preparing teachers, counselors, administrators and community leaders to promote equity and excellence in diverse urban settings through effective pedagogy, evidence-based practices, collaboration, leadership, innovation, scholarship, and advocacy. The College of Education fosters an environment of rigorous learning, critical dialogue and reflection, striving for inclusivity that embraces our mission of equity and excellence in our own scholarly work, practices and policies. We seek colleagues who are committed to our mission and are skilled at teaching and working in environments that reflect CSULB's designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution and an Asian American, Native American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution.
The College serves approximately 3,000 students, many of whom are the first in their families to pursue college degrees and reflect the racially and ethnically diverse population of CSULB and our local communities. Our academic programs range from undergraduate, to master's and doctoral degrees, and education credentials that prepare candidates for careers in diverse, urban educational settings. With a low student to faculty ratio of 1:21, and strong, individualized advising from faculty and staff, students receive the support and attention needed to successfully complete their degrees in a timely fashion.
As expert researchers and scholars, College of Education faculty provide rigorous courses designed to challenge and engage students, connecting theory and research with practice. Our faculty provide experiences for College of Education students to explore the impact of their social identities and experiences in society that impact the students and clients they will serve, thereby fully preparing them for their chosen careers.
Clinical practice is central to programs in the College of Education. With over 100 area clinical practice partnerships, students within the College of Education gain invaluable hands-on experience with faculty mentors and skilled practitioners who help provide real world experience in diverse, urban settings, augmenting classroom instruction.
Information on excellent benefits package available to CSULB faculty is located here:
How to Apply - Required Documentation:
- An Equity and Diversity Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (maximum two pages, single-spaced). For further information and guidelines, please visit: http://www.csulb.edu/EquityDiversityStatement
- Letter of application addressing the required and preferred qualifications and indicating area(s) of specialization, if any
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact information for three references (may be contacted [no letters accepted] for a verbal reference should you reach the finalist stage (on-campus applicants: at least one of which must be from outside CSULB)
- Copy of earned U.S. public school teaching credential
- Finalists should be prepared to submit an official transcript (e-transcript preferred, if available)
How to Apply: Click Apply Now icon to complete the CSULB online application
Questions about the application and search process contact:
Kelsey Reyes, Department Coordinator
Email: Kelsey.Reyes@csulb.edu or [Register to View]
Questions about the position contact:
Dr. Heather Macias, Search Committee Chair
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSU Vaccination Policy
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at [Register to View] 53768273%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=x%2FssSWPU79Zsua9mscL47uEVKOTRjZoGoZEI79urdVU%3D&reserved=0">https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race or ethnicity (including color or ancestry), nationality, religion or religious creed, gender (or sex), gender identity (including transgender), gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, genetic information, age, veteran or military status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/528195/fulltime-lecturer-multilingual-literacy-and-learners-in-elementary-education
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-b663d723b7c9fb48b06834b3760cabe0