This job is archived
Dean, College of Nursing and Health Professions
University of Southern Indiana (USI) invites applications for the next Dean, College of Nursing and Health Professions. The Dean reports directly to the Provost, serves as the College’s chief academic officer and represents the College as a member of the Provost’s Council. The dean will provide transformative leadership for the College to build a greater depth of programming to attract high-ability students with diverse interests and backgrounds.
The Dean will work closely with department chairs, multiple other direct reports, faculty, and other University staff as they collectively pursue teaching excellence and greater national and international prominence and higher rankings through the pursuit of scholarly and creative work. Working alongside USI’s faculty and administrative team, the dean will implement a strategic vision for the College. The successful candidate will support an interdisciplinary focus and facilitate the development of research growth, expand and develop academic programs, enhance corporate and foundation relationships, and increase collaborative partnerships with other institutions.
The Dean exercises broad responsibilities for leadership and management of the College’s programs, finances, and people including:
- Establishing a long-term vision for the College consistent with the University’s mission and strategic priorities
- Overseeing of College facilities including representing College interests in the upcoming major renovation of the Health Professions building
- Ensuring the College programs achieve and maintain accreditation
- Assisting with the University’s regional accreditation
- Analyzing, communicating, and responding to emerging global, national, and regional trends in healthcare and higher education
- Strengthening and building connections and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders
- Fostering a high-quality student experience
- Nurturing an organizational culture that empowers faculty, promotes shared governance, and fosters interprofessional collaborations
- Overseeing student recruitment and retention initiatives to ensure strategic growth of the College
- Recruiting, retaining, supporting and mentoring faculty who will continue the College’s progress
- Using a data-informed approach to manage and prioritize an annual operating budget to achieve the College’s strategic goals
- Advocating for the College and increasing its visibility and reputation regionally, nationally, and internationally
- Supporting current grant programs and securing additional resources and funds to advance the College and expand student learning opportunities
- Overseeing the College’s Center for Health Professions Lifelong Learning, which provides accredited professional development opportunities for health professionals through certificate programs, continuing education conferences, and workshops
- Support the collaborative partnership with the Southwest Indiana Area Health Education Center to advance their mission of recruiting, educating and retaining health care professionals in under-resourced communities
- An earned doctorate in a healthcare discipline OR a doctorate plus an earned terminal degree in a healthcare field
- Academic qualifications and achievements consistent with an appointment as a tenured, full professor in the College
- Evidence of a minimum of three years of significant leadership experience in an academic setting
- Documented expertise in a healthcare field with unencumbered licensure/certification/registration
- A strong vision for promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience with developing and leading student recruitment and retention in health professions programs
- Involvement in innovative curriculum design for in-person and online education delivery methods
- Support the use of emerging technologies and simulations to enhance student learning
- Experience with financial and budget management
- Demonstrated knowledge and involvement with accreditation processes of healthcare academic programs
- A proven record for promoting and supporting communication, interprofessional collaboration, shared governance, and team building
- A strong record of recruiting and retaining faculty and staff
- Established record of service with local and national professional organizations
- Experience leading and supporting clinical track, tenure track, adjunct, and contract faculty.
- Results-focused leadership promoting faculty, staff, and student development
- Experience in preparing and administering grants up to and including the federal level
- Proven results in development of donors
- Outreach with external stakeholders to develop academic practice partnerships
- Track record of fostering high-quality student-centered degree, certificate, and lifelong learning academic experiences
About University of Southern Indiana:
Founded in 1965, the University of Southern Indiana enrolls over 9,000 dual credit, undergraduate and graduate students in more than 130 areas of study. A public higher education institution, located on a beautiful 1,400-acre campus in Evansville, Indiana, USI offers programs through the College of Liberal Arts, Romain College of Business, College of Nursing and Health Professions, and the Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education.
USI is an engaged learning community committed to exceptional education. We exist to provide an educated citizenry that can engage in a civil manner within a community with divergent ideas and cultural differences. We prepare our students to lead and make positive contributions to our state, their communities, and to be lifetime learners in a diverse and global society.
About the College of Nursing and Health Professions:
The College of Nursing and Health Professions offers 13 academic programs in Dental Assisting, Dental Hygiene, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Food and Nutrition, Health Informatics and Information Management, Health Services, Health Administration, Nursing (Bachelor of Science in Nursing, RN to BSN Completion, Master of Science in Nursing, BSN to DNP and Doctor of Nursing Practice), Occupational Therapy Assistant, Occupational Therapy, Radiologic and Imaging Sciences and Respiratory Therapy.
USI’s programs have an outstanding history of graduates achieving excellent pass rates on national and state licensure examinations, as well as preparing students for employment and leadership roles in health care organizations throughout the country.
To ensure that graduates are ready for the challenges of a rapidly changing health care delivery system, USI’s educational goals focus on critical thinking and creative problem solving. Additional goals include the use of evidence-based practice protocols, effective communication, cultural sensitivity, systems leadership for quality care and health policy.
About Evansville, Indiana:
Evansville is Indiana's third-largest city, and is an easy drive away from Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, and St. Louis. Evansville is known to be a friendly place in Southwest Indiana, along the Ohio River. It is the central city of the Evansville metropolitan area, a hub of commercial, medical, and cultural activity of southwestern Indiana and the Illinois–Indiana–Kentucky tri-state area, that is home to over 911,000 people.
All applicants are instructed to apply for Dean, College of Nursing and Health Professions at University of Southern Indiana on their HR portal here: https://usi.peopleadmin.com/postings/10170
A complete application should include the following:
- A letter of intent describing your interest in and qualifications for the position
- A statement of your leadership philosophy that exemplifies your achievements as a leader, including promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- A curriculum vitae
- Five references to include the names, addresses, email and telephone numbers for each. Indicate your professional relationship with each. References will not be contacted until finalists are identified
Nominations and Questions
Nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest should be forwarded to Sarah Will, Interim Executive Director of Human Resources, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Dean Search" in the subject line of your email. Please provide the nominee's name, current position, and organization, his or her contact information including email address and phone number, the reason for your nomination, and your name, title, and contact information.
All applications and nominations will remain strictly confidential. A public phase of the search will commence for finalists, who will be pre-notified of this phase.
More information is available on the USI website at https://www.usi.edu/cnhp-dean-search/.
The University of Southern Indiana is an EEO/AA employer. All individuals including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.