Assistant Dean and Director of Strategy and Operations
Job ID: 45239
Location: Evanston, Illinois
Department: Dean of Students
The mission of the Off-Campus Life office is to serve as the first point of contact for students moving and living off-campus. Our office has one constituency group - Northwestern students. We have multiple stakeholders with whom we communicate, coordinate, and refer around issues regarding students' rights, responsibilities, and resources. Learn more about the Off-Campus Life office here: https://www.northwestern.edu/offcampus/
About Student Affairs: By pursuing justice, equity, and belonging, Student Affairs cultivates student programs, services, and skills; disrupts barriers; and partners across Northwestern and neighboring communities to create an inclusive culture in which all students can thrive. Learn more about the Division of Student Affairs here: https://www.northwestern.edu/studentaffairs/about/strategic-plan/strategic-themes.html
Northwestern University seeks a dynamic and experienced leader for the position of Assistant Dean and Director of Strategy and Operations. The Assistant Dean and Director of Strategy and Operations will report directly to the Assistant Vice President of Wellness and Dean of Students and be a part of the Dean’s leadership team. The Assistant Dean will oversee all operational functions for the Dean of Students office including primary responsibility for the Administrator on Call, Maxient, and data and analytics reporting. In addition, this position will oversee off campus life by serving as the first point of contact for students moving off campus and will supervise student staff who are part of the off-campus life team. This position will also support Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS) and the Office of Community Standards (OCS). The Assistant Dean will occasionally coordinate hearing panels for the Office of Community Standards or respond to urgent student issues during peak times in the quarter.
Occasional weekends and evenings as requested and some possible travel, as required.
- (20%) Serve as first point of contact for students living in both the Evanston and Chicago off campus neighborhoods including:
- Liase with the Office of Neighborhood and Community Relations
- Communication strategy
- Development of relationship with property owners
- Management of Places4Students and student housing fair
- Update student website around tenant rights and responsibilities
- Coordinate the annual Dillo Day outreach and day-of-Student Affairs staffing in the near campus neighborhood.
- (20%) Assist the AVP and Dean of Students in Dean of Students in tracking progress on the strategic plan goals
- Assist with developing and tracking metrics
- Creating reports
- (20%) General Dean of Students office work
- Utility dean/ fill in work on parent and student response including provide support and serve as a resource for students helping them solve non-academic concerns, referring students to appropriate campus resources, as necessary.
- Support the Office of Community Standards through reviewing appeals and coordinating panels as needed.
- Serves in the on-call rotation
- Other duties as assigned
- (15%) Oversee Crisis Response and On Call protocols. This position will hold primary responsibility for the Administrator on Call System including updating the guide, coordinating with Residential Life, CAPS and NUPD to ensure that the afterhours systems are aligned, developing, and coordinating quarterly trainings for on call staff and ensuring that all IR’s are properly routed and receive follow-up. This position will also serve in the on-call rotation, inclusive of breaks between quarters such as winter recess.
- (15%) Maxient super-user Level 5 user who oversees Maxient management for the Dean of Students office including:
- Training and onboarding of new staff to the Maxient database
- Upkeep of the system (I.e. Advise areas, delete users who have left the university, watch for updates and train staff on updates to the system)
- Coordinate quarterly maxient meetings with SASS, Res Life, OCS, Office of Equity, and BIRT to ensure proper use of the system, and maintain upkeep.
- Oversee all Maxient analytics and reporting
- Receive and route for response all Community Concerns Reports
- (10%) Recruitment, training and supervision of three to four student staff who primarily manage the off-campus component of the job
- One half time graduate student in the MSHE program
- Two off campus student ambassadors
- One student marketing intern
- Master’s degree in higher education or related field
- 7-10 years' experience professional work
- Experience working in a higher education setting
- Knowledge of Maxient
- 10+ years in higher education
- Maxient Level 5 user
- History of working in and coordinating on- call systems
- Experience with the Office of Community Standards
- Experience working with students in crisis
- Strong understanding of Excel, data, and analytics
- Attention to detail
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to work in collaboration with others
Please apply online at https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=45239&PostingSeq=1
Benefits: At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness: Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles. We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth and Development: Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.