JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the long-term strategic planning and management of the school’s academic, fiscal, physical, and human resources. The Dean will promote academic excellence and innovation, scholarly activity, service, and faculty/staff professional growth and development, create and support strategic academic partnerships and collaborations with academic and community institutions, and provide effective leadership in implementing the vision, mission, and strategic plan. The Dean will collaborate with the provost’s in determining policies and procedures related to the School.
- Provide leadership for the School and its organizational units.
- Work collaboratively to establish and staff the organizational structure of the School to achieve the strategic plan.
- Lead strategic planning activities to further the School’s mission in teaching, research, and service.
- Provide recommendations on the continued employment, promotion, and tenure of the School’s faculty, based on published guidelines and considering the recommendations of the relevant faculty committees and department chairs.
- Develop, monitor, and adjust the annual budget linked to the strategic plan of the School.
- After recommendations are made by the respective committees, fulfill the dean’s role to admit applicants, place students on academic probation, and/or suspend students from the School.
- Serve as the School’s final arbitrator of student, faculty, and staff disputes, as governed by University policy.
- Recruit, select, evaluate, and develop full-time faculty personnel for CPS.
- Supervise the screening and hiring of part-time faculty members.
- Coordinate the School’s leadership committees; serve on other university and professional committees as appointed.
- Develop, coordinate, and manage the various functions of CPS, including formulating long-range and short-term objectives; advocate for needed resources identified through program assessment and Academic Master Planning.
- Resolve student problems and issues within the School and related appeals.
- Ensure the programs in the CPS meet appropriate accreditation standards.
- Ensure effective oversight of the implementation, assessment and continuous improvement of the School’s academic programs and compliance with accreditation standards.
- Assist departments in identifying potential online offerings and promoting current online courses and programs.
- Oversee the delivery of all the school’s academic offerings, both credit and non-credit bearing.
- Work with campus partners to conduct market research to support departments and program objectives in attracting and retaining online students.
- Ensure that course/program branding and marketing strategies align with university standards.
- Collaborate effectively to market the School’s academic programs, enhance the applicant pool, and grow enrollments consistent with University goals and resources.
- Provide effective oversight and leadership in developing new programs, as well as innovative delivery methods to expand the reach and appeal of existing programs.
- Seek external resources to support the School’s programs and initiatives, through grants and contracts, and in collaboration with the University’s development office.
- Represent the University’s vision and mission, strategic goals, and policies and procedures, as well as administrative decisions, to the School’s faculty, staff and students.
- Collaborate actively with all institution schools and colleges to develop and promote program effectiveness and student success.
- Align the School’s goals and plans with the University strategic goals. Promote the needs of the university, CPS, faculty, and students in the context of NJCU’s overall programs.
- Contribute support and respect for a university culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Provost or Associate Provost.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively and participate in institutional strategic planning, goal setting and resource allocation.
- Knowledge of legislative, regulatory, legal, and practice issues affecting higher education, especially remote learning.
- Ability to plan, organize and direct adult educational programs.
- Capacity to contribute to institutional and program-level accreditation.
- Strong communication, organization, interpersonal, problem-solving, and academic counseling skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with, and build consensus among faculty, students, staff, and administrators in a dynamic and expanding diverse campus community environment.
- Ability to lead the recruitment, retention, and development of high-quality diverse faculty, students, and staff.
- Ability to effectively coordinate work with colleagues and peers.
- Proficiency in multitasking, meeting deadlines, and problem solving.
- Ability to develop creative initiatives and maximize opportunities and resources.
- Ability to establish partnerships with multiple constituencies to provide maximum benefits for students.
- Current knowledge and skill in the use of information and computer technology or proven capacity to learn these skills.
- Work effectively with students, faculty, and staff from multi-cultural backgrounds and promote access, success, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Plan and organize work to meet schedules and timelines.
- Assist the leadership team to coordinate projects and set goals and priorities for CPS to offer quality student customer service.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- An earned doctorate in a discipline appropriate to the College of Professional Studies
- An academic record of scholarship, teaching and service that merits tenure in the COE at NJCU, with a preference for qualification at the rank of full professor
- A significant and successful record of academic administrative experience
Demonstrated successful management of budgets and resource allocation
Demonstrated experience with accreditation processes and program assessment
Demonstrated experience in grant writing
Demonstrated experience in advancement and development
Demonstrated experience in and community outreach and partnerships
Demonstrated impact in access, inclusion, equity and diversity initiatives
Demonstrated experience working in a unionized environment
Demonstrated experience with program and/or regional accreditation processes
Demonstrated experience working with state regulations and policies
Demonstrated experience with online delivery modalities
Demonstrated ability to provide leadership across, between, and among units
Demonstrated record of data-driven decision-making
Demonstrated record of fostering a culture of respect and transparency
Demonstrated excellence in written, oral and digital communication
Application and Nomination Procedure
The search is being assisted by Academic Search, Inc. A complete description of this opportunity, position requirements and expectations, and procedures for candidacy can be found in the position profile: https://academicsearch.org/open-searches-public/.
To arrange a confidential conversation about this position please contact the senior consultant managing the search, Dr. Eric Richtmyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) by phone at [Register to View] . The position is open until filled, but only applications received by March 7, 2022 can be assured full consideration. The expected start date for the role is no later than July 1, 2022.
To apply, a candidate should prepare a thoughtful letter of interest addressing the leadership agenda and the required and desired qualifications. Include also a current, long-form resume or curriculum vita (showing relevant administrative responsibilities and accomplishments) and the names, phone numbers, and addresses of at least five professional references, with an indication of the candidate’s relationship to each reference. References will not be contacted until a later stage in the search, and only with the candidate’s foreknowledge. Nominations and application materials should be sent to NJCUProfessional Studies@academicsearch.org.
New Jersey City University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants.